English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.If you want to renew your membership, please do so before it expires.
The bank will send you a new credit card before it expires.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “if you want to renew your membership card…”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The bank will send you a new credit card before the expiration date”?

2. Silence implies consent. If you don’t answer my question, I will take that as a “Yes”.

When you hear someone say “It was nice talking to you!”in a conversation, that implies that he or she has to leave soon.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first one, what is another way to say “I will take that as a yes”?

3.Sun block or sunscreen can protect your skin from sunburns.
A shelter protects people from danger and harm.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “…protect your skin from harm”?
(2.)   In the second, can I leave out the article “a”?

4.When someone responds to you by saying”Oh, really?”,  it can imply that he is interested in what you said and would like you to elaborate.
The security system protects your property against theft.

(1.)    In the second, can I replace “against” with “from”?

5. After the major earthquake, all news reporters covered the terrible disaster.
John asked me to cover him while he was stealing smartphones, but I refused to help him.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “news reporters” with “newspapers”?
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “asked me to cover him”?

6.John likes to party all night while his parents away.
The wound is not serious; there is just superficial damage to the skin.

(1.)    What is another way to say “superficial damage to the skin”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “if you want to renew your membership card…”? Not really, you're not renewing your card, you're renewing your membership.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The bank will send you a new credit card before the expiration date”? Yes

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    In the first one, what is another way to say “I will take that as a yes”? I'll imply that you agree with me. (the original is the typical expression most native speakers use though).

3. Sun block or sunscreen can protect your skin from sunburns.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes.
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “…protect your skin from harm”? Yes, "sunburns" makes more sense though.
(2.)   In the second, can I leave out the article “a”? No. You need an article before any common, count noun and this is no exception.

4.When someone responds to you by saying "Oh, really?”,  it can imply that he is interested in what you said and would like you to elaborate.

(1.)    In the second, can I replace “against” with “from”? Yes

5 . After the major earthquake, all news reporters covered the terrible disaster.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes, but "cover for him" (unless you're literally covering him with a blanket or something along those lines)
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “news reporters” with “newspapers”? You can but the meaning of the sentence changes.
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “asked me to cover him”? "asked me to watch his back" is the closest I can think of, but it's not really a good substitute here.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but "his parents are away"
(1.)    What is another way to say “superficial damage to the skin”? "the skin is barely scratched"

I hope this helps Oppo.

Best,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker