English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.
I didn’t take the job in the first place because I thought I could get a better offer than that one.
I am soaking wet now. I should have taken my umbrella with me in the first place.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   What is a good substitute for “in the first place”?
(2.)    In the first sentence, does it imply that the person eventually took that job?

2. If you don’t practice English outside the class, then it’s pointless to go to the language school.
 The medicine doesn’t work on me, so it’s pointless to try it again.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    What is a good substitute for “pointless”? “Useless”?
(2.)    What is another way to say “The medicine doesn’t work on me”?

3. I usually take a taxi to work when I am running behind.
 I bumped against the table and got some bruises.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “I am running late” or “I am late”?

4. The washer can’t handle too much laundry at a time, so you had better do another load.
 I was not looking where I was going and practically hit another car.

5. I practically passed out in my office after I continued working for 18 hours without a break.
 It will be in your best interest if you work out every day because exercise helps you keep fit.

6. There has been a lot of debate about whether the government should implement the plan for building the fourth nuclear power plant.
 Going to work on a rainy day is a hassle because you may get wet even if you wear a raincoat.

(1.)  Does it mean the same if I replace"implement" with "carry out" in the first?

Answer
1.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? Yes. (you can end the first sentence after offer).
(1.)   What is a good substitute for “in the first place”? To begin with
(2.)    In the first sentence, does it imply that the person eventually took that job? It actually implies that the person did not take the job.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    What is a good substitute for “pointless”? “Useless”? Yes
(2.)    What is another way to say “The medicine doesn’t work on me”? I see no benefits from taking this medicine

33. I usually take a taxi to work when I am running behind.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd say "running late" we use "run behind" when we're late on meeting a deadline.
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “I am running late” or “I am late”?. See above

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd say "after working for 18 hours straight/without a break" in the first

(1.)  Does it mean the same if I replace"implement" with "carry out" in the first? Yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker