English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. The outstanding alumnus is invited to make an address at his alma mater.
The government announced building another nuclear power plant to address the issue of energy crisis.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I change “at” to “to”? Or can I say, “The outstanding alumnus is invited to make/give a speech to his alma mater” or “The outstanding alumnus is invited to speak to his alma mater”?
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “to address the issue of…”?

2. The main idea of this article is to demonstrate the advances of genetic engineering.
It is said that parents can help children develop their characters and creativity by reading them stories

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “the advances of…”?
(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “It is said that reading stories to your children can help them develop their characters and creativity”?

3.The musician is prolific and versatile. All his works are popular and highly respected.
She has worked as a primary school teacher for more than twenty years.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    What are synonyms for “prolific” and “highly respected”? “Productive” and “highly evaluated”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “She has been a primary school teacher for more than twenty years” or “She has taught a primary school for more than twenty years”?

4. The primary reason for getting an education is to acquire more knowledge.
He risked all his fortune for realizing his dream.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “the main reason for education is acquiring more knowledge”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say “He realized his dream by putting his fortune at risk”?

5. He achieved success at the risk of losing his health.
The government is determined to build the fourth nuclear power plant at the risk of exposing the public to high levels of radiation.

(1.)    In the sentences, what could be a good substitute for “at the risk of”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “…at the risk of composing public safety”?

6. Mr. Wilson has to find someone to substitute for him on Friday night when he is on sick leave.
The factory consumes a great amount of raw materials during the production process.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “..find someone to fill in for him on Friday night when…”?
(2.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Mr. Wilson has to find a substitute for himself (him) on Friday night when…”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes, in the second one I'd say "to address the energy crisis" or 'to address the issue of the energy crisis"
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I change “at” to “to”? Or can I say, “The outstanding alumnus is invited to make/give a speech to his alma mater” or “The outstanding alumnus is invited to speak to his alma mater”? No. The person is not going to speak "to" the alma mater, this would be like saying that s/he is going to talk to a building.
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “to address the issue of…”? "to help solve the energy crisis" or "to help with the energy crisis"

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “the advances of…”? The progress of
(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “It is said that reading stories to your children can help them develop their characters and creativity”? Yes

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? Yes
I'd use creative and highly esteemed, or highly admired
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “She has been a primary school teacher for more than twenty years” yes
or “She has taught a primary school for more than twenty years”? No. You can say: She has taught at a primary school ... or She has taught primary school students/children ...

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “the main reason for education is acquiring more knowledge”? No. Getting an education and educating are not synonym. A student is the one getting an education, while a teacher is the one educating.
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say “He realized his dream by putting his fortune at risk”? Yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes.
(1.)    In the sentences, what could be a good substitute for “at the risk of”? Can't really think of one, sorry.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “…at the risk of composing public safety”? Perhaps you mean "compromising" then yes you can say that.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “..find someone to fill in for him on Friday night when…”? Yes
(2.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Mr. Wilson has to find a substitute for himself (him) on Friday night when…”? Yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker