English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.The team will represent our country at a tournament in Japan.
With hours of effort, they finally persuaded him out of committing suicide.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “The team will compete at a tournament in Japan for our country”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “…they finally talked him out of committing suicide”?

2. The current event that has impressed me most was the Sunday rally in protest against the government’s nuclear power plant project.  This mobilization has demonstrated the power of civil movements against the power of a bullying government.

(1.)   In the first sentence, should I use “is” rather “was”?
(2.)   In the second, should I use “bully” or “bullying”?

3 . Don’t let yourself be persuaded into buying things that you don’t really want.
  I owe what I am to my parents.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Don’t be persuaded to buy things that you don’t really want”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “My parents have made me what (who) I am today”?

4. She calculated that she could save more time if she went there by car.
 The two sides are willing to negotiate a treaty based on mutual trust.

(1.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “calculated” with “figured out”?
(2.) In the first, can I say, “She calculated that she can save more time if she go there by car”? What is the difference?

5. The people on the line will benefit from the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit System) station.
 When you borrow money from a bank, the extra money that you must pay back is called interest.

(1.)   In the first sentence, should I say, “The people who work or live near the MRT station will benefit from its operation”?

6 . Peter and I don’t share many interests, but we still have a friendly relationship.
The MRT station benefits nearby businesses and house owners in the way that its operation may bring in more customers and can cause the housing prices to rise.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “Peter and I don’t have many common interests”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “The team will compete at a tournament in Japan for our country”? No.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “…they finally talked him out of committing suicide”? Yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but "is' instead of "was" in the first.
(1.)   In the first sentence, should I use “is” rather “was”?  Yes
(2.)   In the second, should I use “bully” or “bullying”? Bullying is fine.

I owe what I am to my parents.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Don’t be persuaded to buy things that you don’t really want”? No
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “My parents have made me what (who) I am today”? Yes but it sounds awkward. Stick to the original.

(1.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “calculated” with “figured out”? Yes
(2.) In the first, can I say, “She calculated that she can save more time if she go there by car”? No
What is the difference? This would be incorrect - verb tenses are all over the place.

(1.)   In the first sentence, should I say, “The people who work or live near the MRT station will benefit from its operation”? Yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “Peter and I don’t have many common interests”? Yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker