English as a Second Language/Follow-up (proofreading)

Question
Dear Amy,

Some time ago, you corrected my sentence "....Then put a tea bag in the kettle" as "Then put a tea bag INSIDE the kettle?"

Why do you use "INSIDE" instead of "in"? I think the verb "put" can take the preposition "in" or better "into", and this means the same thing. Is "put in" wrong?

Please help me out.

Thanks and kind regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
Antoine,

you are correct, you can use "put in" or "put into" interchangeably in the context you mentioned above.

The only difference I can think about in the two is the fact that "put into" emphasizes on the motion or on the fact that someone or something undergoes a change in place.

I guess I changed your sentence when I answered your question simply because "into" sounds more formal, but again, both "in" and "into" are correct.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker