English as a Second Language/Meaning of a word


Would you help me in finding a word,
for a person who learns by repeating\r
At first I thought such person could be termed as a 'Memorizer'
But the squiggly red lines say otherwise

I've searched a lot but I couldn't find anything except the word 'rote'
I've searched synonyms for it but haven't got any satisfying answer
I've found out that rote means to learn by repeating the content but how do i use it in a sentence and what to call a person who 'rotes'.

Thank you

Hello Ritesh,

and thanks for your question.
The word "memorizer" doesn't exist in English, so the "squiggly red line" is doing its job properly.

We do use the term "rote memorization" or "rote learning" to describe a memorization technique based on using repetition.

As far as a name for a person who learns by repeating, I don't think there is one particular word for that, instead we say: "a person who prefers a rote learning style" or "someone who prefers rote memorization/learning" "someone who rote memorizes"

For ex:
This is a poem that I learned by rote (memorization) when I was a little kid.
Tony decided to rote memorize/learn the formulas for his science test.

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to more of your questions.

Best regards,


English as a Second Language

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Amy Baker


I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.


I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.