English as a Second Language/Question

Question
The sentece is this:
The South Korean teenager blurted out, then covered her mouth with a hand as if to stop - too late - the Korean word that had left her mouth.
I dont understand the grammar of this part" as if to stop - too late - the Korean word that had left her mouth."
I dont understand the meaning.
btw the south korean teenager is female.

Answer
Nilo,

I've already explained to you the meaning of this sentence in a previous message.

it's obvious now that the student is female (otherwise the sentence wouldn't talk about "her mouth")

The students said something, but she didn't really want to say it so she tried to "prevent" the Korean word from coming out of her mouth by covering her mouth with her hand; either way it was too late as she had already said the word.

To be honest, the sentence sounds a bit odd. I don't see the point of "-too late-" in the middle of the sentence, so I can see why you're struggling with the grammar of that particular part.

If this is a sentence from a book, it may be that the author tried to emphasize the fact that it was already too late for her to stop the word from being said, otherwise I have no good explanation for the sentence being written as such.

My version of the above sentence:

The South Korean student blurted out, then covered her mouth with a hand as if to stop the Korean word that had left her mouth. (It was) too late (for that).

I hope this helps.

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker