English as a Second Language/Questions

Question
When should I use this sentence?Is this in the past tense?
You couldn't help me,could you?
Is it the same as the above sentence? You can't help me,can you?

"No parking at weekends" does this sentence mean that parking is forbiden at weekends or does it mean that there is no place for parking your car at weekends because it is crowded?

what is the differnce between these two sentences?I have long had this problem.    I have had this problem for a long time.

Is this sentence correct? This country should create better ties with India.

"Eighter of them are correct" does it mean that both of them are correct?

What does this sentence mean?If you should see my brother, call me.

Answer

You couldn't help me,could you?

>>> This is called a rhetorical question. It means you don't really expect an answer, since you already know the person you asked was unable to help you.

Is it the same as the above sentence?

You can't help me,can you?

>>> This is also a rhetorical question, somewhat similar to the one above only this refers to a present situation, the one above is about the past.

>>> First of all it should be "no parking during the weekends". If this is a traffic sign then it means that nobody is allowed to park there during the weekend. I need more context here to be able to tell you what's behind the meaning of this expression though.

>>> No difference

>>> Yes, that's a correct sentence.

>>> Yes

>>> it means that I should give you a call in the event I see your brother.

I hope this helps Nilo.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker