English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. If you want to know about the rent of a room, you may ask the landlord.
How much do you pay in rent monthly?

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, should I leave out “about” and say “If you want to know the rent for a room” or “ If you want to know what the rent is for a room”?
(2.)    In the second, what is the difference if I say, “How much do you pay for housing monthly”?

2. In the area where I lived, the rent increased quickly because the nearby university recruited more and more students each year, leading to higher demand for rental apartments.

The tenant had quarrel with the landlord over whose responsibility it was to pay for the repairs.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “leading to” with “creating”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “..whose responsibility it was to pay for the leaky roof and the clogged toilet”?

3. Following traffic regulations doesn’t always guarantee one’s life because other factors also contribute to fatality in accidents.
Carefully looking at food and smelling it are not a guarantee of the food’s safety.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “guarantee” with “assure” or “ensure”?
(2.)    In the second, how do I rephrase “carefully looking at food and smelling it” to make it shorter?

4. People have been complaining a lot about the new ETC system for its double or phantom charges.
   When a customer checks out at a store, the cashier scans the barcodes on the items to know the total cost.

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “People have been making a lot of complaints about..”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say “When a customer pays at a store”?

5 . I can’t tolerate John anymore because he complains a lot and never tries to do something.
 With their natural friendliness and hospitality, the people in the countryside made him feel very much at home.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “I have had enough of John”?
(2.)   In the second, can I say also, “The people in the countryside were friendly and hospital to him, making him feel very much at home.”?

6. Being located on the Pacific Rim, Taiwan is a region/ an island prone to earthquakes.
 Heavy smokers are prone to lung cancer or heart disease.

Are both sentences grammatically?
(1.)    What is a good substitute for “prone to” in the first sentence?

Answer
How much do you pay in rent monthly?

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but the first sounds strange...not quite sure what you mean there
(1.)    In the first sentence, should I leave out “about” and say “If you want to know the rent for a room” or “ If you want to know what the rent is for a room”? the second version is the only one that's OK.
(2.)    In the second, what is the difference if I say, “How much do you pay for housing monthly”? housing may mean homeowner association fees, rent or mortgage, depending on the individual's situation.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “leading to” with “creating”? yes
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “..whose responsibility it was to pay for the leaky roof and the clogged toilet”? yes, only the meaning is not the same.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “guarantee” with “assure” or “ensure”? ensure

http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/definitions/assure-vs-ensure-vs-insure/

(2.)    In the second, how do I rephrase “carefully looking at food and smelling it” to make it shorter? I really can't make this any shorter...

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “People have been making a lot of complaints about..”? yes
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say “When a customer pays at a store”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes, the first sounds unfinished though
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “I have had enough of John”? yes
(2.)   In the second, can I say also, “The people in the countryside were friendly and hospital to him, making him feel very much at home.”? yes but "hospitable" hospital is a place where people go when sick.

Are both sentences grammatically? yes
(1.)    What is a good substitute for “prone to” in the first sentence? "more likely to experience"  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker