English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. To expand its markets, the corporation operates a diverse group of businesses such as airlines, hotels, banks, textile factories and telecommunication services.
The language school offers a diverse range of courses and learning experiences.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “..the corporation operates different/various businesses such as…”?
(2.)    In the first sentence, what could be a substitute for “businesses”?  “Companies” or “services”?

2. The wildlife in Africa is extremely diverse.
In the United States, student populations of most universities are diverse. There are lots of students from different backgrounds, religions and cultures.

Are all sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “There are extremely different kinds of wildlife in Africa”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “In the United States, most universities have diverse student populations”?

3. Sunlight, air and water are essential to the growth of plants.
It is essential for a company to start with sufficient capital.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I change “to” to “for”? Or can I say “..are essential for plant growing”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “It is essential that a company start with enough funds”?

4. The commercial focuses on the functions of the digital camera.
It is gradually accepted by researchers that there are differences in the way men’s and women’s brains function.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “focuses on” with “features”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “Researchers gradually accept the fact that men’s and women’s brains function differently”?

5. Kids under ten years old need to eat every four to six hours to maintain the proper blood glucose content needed to support the activity of the brain and nervous system.

If you want to go to Canada, you have to obtain a visa to enter the country.

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “…eat every four to six hours to keep their blood glucose high enough to support….”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “..obtain a visa for entry into the country”?

6. To obtain patent information, a visit to a patent library is essential.
The purpose of school education is to help students obtain/acquire knowledge.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “A visit to a patent library is essential to obtain patent information” or “A visit to a patent library is essential for obtaining patent information”?
(2.)    In the second, can I leave out “help students”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “..the corporation operates different/various businesses such as…”? yes
(2.)    In the first sentence, what could be a substitute for “businesses”?  “Companies” or “services”? services would work here

Are all sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “There are extremely different kinds of wildlife in Africa”? rephrasing the sentence like wouldn't be correct. You can say "There are many different types of wildlife in Africa."
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “In the United States, most universities have diverse student populations”? yes, I'd stick to the first version though

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I change “to” to “for”? Or can I say “..are essential for plant growing”? yes and yes again
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “It is essential that a company start with enough funds”? yes but "starts"

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “focuses on” with “features”? yes
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “Researchers gradually accept the fact that men’s and women’s brains function differently”? yes but "accepted"

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “…eat every four to six hours to keep their blood glucose high enough to support….”? yes
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “..obtain a visa for entry into the country”? it sounds awkward but yes. One thing though: "obtain a visa for their entry into the country". Also, your sentence would sound better if you'd just say: You need a visa if you want to go to Canada.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “A visit to a patent library is essential to obtain patent information” or “A visit to a patent library is essential for obtaining patent information”? yes
(2.)    In the second, can I leave out “help students”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker