English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. We thought Phoebe couldn’t fit into the new company. To our surprise, she quickly adjusted to the new surroundings.
A corporation issues stock to raise capital and then uses stockholders’ money to run or expand its business.

Are all sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “We thought Phoebe had a hard time fitting into the new company”?
(2.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I say “To our surprise, she quickly became adjusted to….”?

2. Hard work and good luck are crucial to success.
 The police are verifying the accuracy of the criminal's confessions.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “Hard work and good luck play a crucial role in success”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The police are verifying the statement made by the criminal”?

3 . When you come out of a dark theater after seeing a movie, your eyes have to adjust to the brightness.
  When the movie was over and the lights in the theater were turned on, I stayed for a short while to let my eyes adjust to the brightness.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say “walk out of a dark theater after…”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I change “let” to “allow”?

4. When you suddenly walk into a dark room, your eyes need some time to adjust to the darkness.
 My eyes quickly adjusted to the light as I walked out of the dark room.

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I change “some time “to “ a moment”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “my eyes quickly became adjusted to the light”? What’s the difference?

The island is known for its diverse ethnic groups and cultures.

5. He reflected on his life up to that point and found he did nothing meaningful.
 His wrong decision caused great damage to his company, so he was asked to quit.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “he reflected on his life”? “Reexamine his life”?
(2.)    In the first, can I change “up to that point” to “up to now”? If not, why?

6. The island is known for its diverse range of fruits. Foreigners who have tried them are often amazed by their unique flavors and freshness.
 People are buying more cell phones and changing their phones very often because stores offer a diverse selection of products.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “diverse kinds of fruits”?
(2.)    In the second one, what is another way to say “a diverse selection of products”?

Answer

Are all sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “We thought Phoebe had a hard time fitting into the new company”? actually what you need to say is: "We thought Phoebe would have a hard time..."
(2.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I say “To our surprise, she quickly became adjusted to….”? none

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “Hard work and good luck play a crucial role in success”? yes I'd say "crucial role in someone's success"
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The police are verifying the statement made by the criminal”? yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say “walk out of a dark theater after…”? yes
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I change “let” to “allow”? yes

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I change “some time “to “ a moment”? absolutely
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “my eyes quickly became adjusted to the light”? What’s the difference? you can say that, there won't be any difference

>>>> no question here?!

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “he reflected on his life”? “Reexamine his life”? that's an excellent choice
(2.)    In the first, can I change “up to that point” to “up to now”? If not, why? You can say "up to now" but the meaning of the sentence is going to change.
When you say "up to that point" you most-likely have a particular moment in the past in mind.
When you say up to now, it means "up to the present time".

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “diverse kinds of fruits”? yes or "different types/kinds of fruits"
(2.)    In the second one, what is another way to say “a diverse selection of products”? "many different products"  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker