English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. Many stores here have strict return policies. They inspect the items carefully before accepting returns.
At the national day military parade, the president carried out an inspection of the troops while the soldiers were marching past him saluting.

Are all sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the second, can I say also, “…when the soldiers were saluting and marching past him”?

2. He didn’t perceive the danger when the car was coming toward him and then got hit by it.
Sometimes, we don’t perceive our own problems until they become too big to solve.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I leave out “by it”?
(2.)   In the second, can I replace “big” with”serious”?

3.More and more people these days perceive that global warming will destroy both natural world and human society.
Alternative energy is perceived as the solution to the energy crisis we face today.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what could be a substitute for “perceive”?
(2.)    In the second, what is the difference if I change “perceived” to “believed”?

4.These two shirts look very much alike and I can’t perceive any difference between them.
I perceived a black mass looming up behind me while I was working at my computer the other day. What a creepy feeling!

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the second, what is another way to say “looming up behind me”?

5.In our tradition, people hang specially designed mirrors above their doors to repel evil spirits.
People use repellent to avoid mosquitoes and other insects when they are outdoors.

(1.)   In the second sentence, can I say also, “…to keep/drive mosquitoes and other insects away”
(2.)    In the second, can I just say “People outdoors use repellent to avoid mosquitoes and other insects” or “People use repellent to avoid mosquitoes and other insects outdoors”?

6. The smell and heat in this room really repel me. I want to get out of here as soon as possible.
The troops repelled their enemy and gave it a deadly blow.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what could be a substitute for “repel”? “Disgust”?
(2.)    In the second, what could be a substitute for “repel”?  “Conquered”or“defeated”?

Answer

Are all sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the second, can I say also, “…when the soldiers were saluting and marching past him”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd rephrase the first:
He didn't perceive the danger when the car came toward him or when it hit him.
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I leave out “by it”? you can, but see above
(2.)   In the second, can I replace “big” with”serious”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but "both the natural world and the human society"
(1.)   In the first sentence, what could be a substitute for “perceive”? feel, think, consider
(2.)    In the second, what is the difference if I change “perceived” to “believed”? it won't be correct unless you say "is believed to be the solution for the energy crisis...|

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? yes, but the first sounds too pompous - see instead of perceive is a much better choice
(1.)    In the second, what is another way to say “looming up behind me”? approaching me from behind

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)   In the second sentence, can I say also, “…to keep/drive mosquitoes and other insects away”  it's actually better to say that
(2.)    In the second, can I just say “People outdoors use repellent to avoid mosquitoes and other insects” no
or “People use repellent to avoid mosquitoes and other insects outdoors”? yes
or,
"When outdoors, people use repellent..."

(1.)   In the first sentence, what could be a substitute for “repel”? “Disgust”? yes
(2.)    In the second, what could be a substitute for “repel”?  “Conquered”or“defeated”? none; repel here means to fight off, to push back.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker