English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.Our professor asked us to keep our assignments in a portfolio to present at the end of the semester.
When applying for a job, you should prepare a portfolio and then use it at an interview to show how your abilities relate the employer’s needs.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “in” with “as”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “…and then use it at an interview to demonstrate your achievements and your competence in a particular area”?

2.Are you the kind of guy who always rushes to finish your assignments or do you start things early?
Do you always complete your assignments on time at work?

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “rush to finish something”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “Do you always complete your assigned work on time”?

3. The journalist was assigned to D.C. to report the American presidential election.
My boss repeatedly assigns me work that is either too much or too challenging.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “assigned” with “sent”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “My boss repeatedly assigns me excessive or challenging work”?

4.In class, each student will be assigned to answer at least one question.
In our country, the president can assign prime ministers and other government officials.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “each student will be assigned at least one question”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “assign” with “appoint”?

5.    Press the on/off button to initiate the operating system before you access Windows.
My initial impression of America was that it was a large country with fast food restaurants and shopping malls everywhere.

(1.)    In the second, can I say also, “There were fast food restaurants and shopping malls everywhere— that was my initial impression of America”?

6.He has a great capacity for learning English.
The elevator has a capacity of 10 people, but it is often overloaded.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I say “He has a great ability for” or “He has a great talent for..”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct?they both need to be modified:
Our professor asked us to keep our assignments in a portfolio you can present at the end of the semester.
When applying for a job, you should prepare a portfolio and then use it during interviews to show how your abilities relate to the employers' needs.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “in” with “as”? I'd say no
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “…and then use it at an interview to demonstrate your achievements and your competence in a particular area”? yes, but see above "use it during interviews..."

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “rush to finish something”? "hurry to finish"
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “Do you always complete your assigned work on time”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but "to report on the American..."
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “assigned” with “sent”? yes
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “My boss repeatedly assigns me excessive or challenging work”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes, but in both sentences it's more natural if you leave "in class" or "in our country" at the end:
Each student.... one question in class.
The president can... officials in our country. or The president of our country can....
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “each student will be assigned at least one question”? yes
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “assign” with “appoint”? yes

(1.)    In the second, can I say also, “There were fast food restaurants and shopping malls everywhere— that was my initial impression of America”? yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I say “He has a great ability for” or “He has a great talent for..”? none really  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker