English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.The sphenoid bone is placed solidly between the much larger skull bones above it and the larger and thick bones of the shoulder and chest areas below it.
I live in Zhubei, one of the cities/ stations through which the high-speed railway passes.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “solidly”? “firmly” and “tightly”?
(2.)    In the first sentence, can I leave out “areas”?

2.As I am busy, I don’t have time to exercise.
I live in the east district of Taipei, where many important businesses and large entertainment facilities converge.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “I don’t have time to exercise, for I am busy”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “converge”?

3.Surgery around the sphenoid bone is necessarily delicate and dangerous because the bone has little openings through which important nerve and blood vessel groups pass.

In holding large-scale sporting events, we are sending a message to the world that Taiwan is ready to take its rightful place in the international community.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “necessarily”and “groups”? “Certainly “and “tissues”?
(2.)    What is another way to say “take its rightful place” in the second?

4.Named in 2003, Taipei was the city in Asia to host the Deaflympic games, marking a historic moment for Taiwan’s drive to be a presence on the international stage.
Air, water and sunlight are vital to the growth of plants.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “named” and “drive”?
“Designated” and “effort”?
(2.)    In the first, what is another way to say “for Taiwan’s drive to be presence on the international stage”? “for Taiwan’s effort to be seen on the international stage”?

5.Speaking of plastic, plastic bags are suffocating our land oceans.
We should never sell ourselves short. We can make a different in the world as long as we keep trying and strive to do better.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “suffocating”?

6.Taipei 101 has been featured in many TV shows and movies made in Taiwan.
More and more people bring reusable bags and chopsticks and drinking containers with environmental protection in mind.

Answer
1. The sphenoid bone is placed solidly between the much larger skull bones above it and the larger and thick bones of the shoulder and chest areas below it.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd rephrase the 2nd: I live in Zhubei, one of the cities/stations the high speed railway passes through.
(1.)    In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “solidly”? “firmly” and “tightly”? Yes
(2.)    In the first sentence, can I leave out “areas”? Yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “I don’t have time to exercise, for I am busy”? Yes
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “converge”? Meet, concentrate

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “necessarily”and “groups”? “Certainly “and “tissues”? Certainly is okay, groups can't be replaced with tissues, but you can say "bundles" instead. I'd stick to groups though.
(2.)    What is another way to say “take its rightful place” in the second? "be recognized for its merits"

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Your 1st sentence should read "Taipei was the Asian city to host..." Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "named in 2003" - As you wrote the sentence it means that the city received the name Taipei in 2003.
“Designated” and “effort”? Effort is fine, again, I'm not sure what to make of the first sentence.
(2.)    In the first, what is another way to say “for Taiwan’s drive to be presence on the international stage”? “for Taiwan’s effort to be seen on the international stage”? Yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but "our oceans" (why land oceans?) Also "difference" not "different"
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “suffocating”? Polluting.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but the second needs to be reworded. First of all, it's incomplete. People bring those things....where? To work? To the restaurant? Also, "reusable bags, chopsticks, and drinking containers"  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker