English as a Second Language/Comma before "too" at the end of sentence.

Question
This is really confusing me. There are many occasions where writers added comma before "too" at the end of the sentences. On the other hand, some writers omit the comma!! Which one is correct grammatically? For example,

1) I like apples, too.

OR

2) I like apples too.

Which one is correct?

Moreover, is this sentence correct?

I, too, like apples.

Or this is correct?

I too, like apples.

Answer
Hi Den and thanks for your question.
1) I like apples, too.

OR

2) I like apples too.

Both of your examples are correct.
There is no rule that says you have to add a comma before "too" at the end of a sentence and the decision to either use a comma or not is based on personal style. If you want your sentence to read smoothly, forget the comma. If you want to create emphasis, use the comma to add a little pause to make sure the reader realizes the impact that the "too" is making on the meaning of the sentence.

In the second set of sentences

I, too, like apples.

OR

I too, like apples.

The first example is correct, the second one is not. However, placing "too" in the middle of the sentence changes the meaning.  "I like apples, too" or "I like apples too" means that you like certain things, including apples. You may like oranges but you also like apples. For example, "I like oranges but I like apples too" (meaning that I like oranges but I also like apples). The comparison is with the items.

"I, too, like apples" means that you, in addition to someone else, likes apples. The emphasis is no longer on the item but on the person instead. For example, if someone said "I like apples", you would say "I, too, like apples" (meaning in addition to you liking apples, I also like apples"

To summarize:
"I like apples, too" and "I like apples too" can be used interchangeably, depending on whether or not you want to emphasize the "too".
"I, too, like apples" is also correct but means something different.
"I too, like apples" is not correct.

I hope this helps!

Jamie  

English as a Second Language

Jamie France-Hernandez