English as a Second Language/question

Question
I don't understand the meaning of this paragraph.Can you explain it to me?
Preparing to march in Washington’s annual Capital Pride Parade can require some serious waxing, shoe shopping and marketing meetings. Across the region, theaters anticipate the first weekend in June not only as an excuse to dress up and sing show tunes, but also as an opportunity to reach a target demographic group through costume contests, salacious swag and discount tickets.

Answer
Hi Nilo:

I'm assuming this has been written by a woman.

It says that while she (or women in general) get ready to march in the yearly Capital Pride Parade in Washington, she needs (or they need) to wax (their legs), buy shoes and attend marketing meetings (which I assume is a metaphor for going shopping).
Also, the theaters (and implicitly the actors) in the area use the first week in June to dress up, and sing popular songs. More than that, these theaters try to reach their audience by holding costume competitions, promoting indecent/lewd styles, and by selling tickets at lower prices.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker