English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.Although tour boats aren’t running this time of year, visitors can still take architecture tours with the City Architecture Foundation.
John currently serves as a managing director overseeing the bank’s businesses.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it imply architecture tours are guided by the City Architecture Foundation?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “serves as” and “overseeing”? “Works as” and “supervising”?

2.At downtown Flower Hotel, a night’s stay in February can be about a third what the same room can cost during the summer.

Most hotels charge different rates for different seasons and different times of a week. In some hotels, guests receive lower rates on weekends than on weekdays.

Are all the sentences above grammatically correct?

(1.) What is a substitute for “what” in the first sentence?  “The price that/ which”?
(2.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “….a night’s stay in February can be about a third of the price of the same room during the summer” or “….a night’s stay in February can cost about a third as much as you pay for the same room during the summer “?

3.The speakers, which come in a choice of red, black, gray or blue, are $9,950 a pair.
The cars, which come in a choice of three sizes-- large, medium or small, are selling at different prices.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “come in”?
(2.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I say, “The speakers, which come in four different colors-- red, black, gray and blue, are $9,950 a pair”?

4.For those who feel they may be suffering from depression, help is available.
The couch can serve as a comfortable bed during sleeping time.

(1.)   In the first sentence, may I say also, “For those who feel they may be suffering from depression, (your) help is important/ critical”?
(2.)   In the second, what is another way to say “can serve as”? “Can work as”?

5.The quiet apartment is flooded with natural light and just recently stylishly renovated with custom closets.
John studied very hard but failed to pass the test. He was understandably disappointed with the result.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “flooded” and “stylishly”?

6.
Do you know how to install the operating system, the CD and DVD drives and the sound card (on/into) my computer?
Many files, pictures and documents are stored in my computer.
Do you know how to store a file on your computer?
Do you know how to use the camera (in/of) your cell phone?

(1.)    In the first sentence, if I change “install” to “use”, should I use “on” or “in” before “my computer”?
(2.)    Can I use “on” in the second? Both the second and third sentences have the word “store” in them. Why do we use “in” in the second and “on” in the third?

Answer

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it imply architecture tours are guided by the City Architecture Foundation? yes
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “serves as” and “overseeing”? “Works as” and “supervising”? yes

Are all the sentences above grammatically correct? I fixed the first:
At downtown Flower Hotel, a night’s stay in February can be about a third OF what the same room can cost during the summer.

(1.) What is a substitute for “what” in the first sentence?  “The price that/ which”? "of the price for the same room in the summer"
(2.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “….a night’s stay in February can be about a third of the price of the same room during the summer”  YES or “….a night’s stay in February can cost about a third as much as you pay for the same room during the summer “? NO

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “come in”? "are offered in"
(2.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I say, “The speakers, which come in four different colors-- red, black, gray and blue, are $9,950 a pair”? no difference

Are both sentences grammatically correct? the second one sounds odd ... I'd just say: The couch can serve as a comfortable bed.
Also, I'd rephrase the first: Help is available for those who feel they may be suffering from depression.

(1.)   In the first sentence, may I say also, “For those who feel they may be suffering from depression, (your) help is important/ critical”? yes, but the meaning is different
(2.)   In the second, what is another way to say “can serve as”? “Can work as”? yes, or "can be used as"

Are both sentences grammatically correct? The first is not. I'd say: The quiet apartment gets plenty of natural light. Also, it has been recently stylishly renovated by adding custom closets.
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “flooded” and “stylishly”? see above for flooded; stylishly = fashionably = elegantly

6.
Do you know how to install the operating system, the CD and DVD drives and the sound card (on/into) my computer? ON is the right preposition here
Do you know how to use the camera (in/of) your cell phone? OF is the right preposition here

Are all the sentences above grammatically correct? see corrections above
(1.)    In the first sentence, if I change “install” to “use”, should I use “on” or “in” before “my computer”? regardless of "install" or "use" I'd say "ON my computer"
Unfortunately the answer for this question is not a very black and white one. The proper use of prepositions is a very tricky topic for most ESL speakers simply because the rules have lots of exceptions. Moreover, the use of prepositions may even depend on the geographic area where English is spoken/used.
Usually when it comes to storing data in/on a computer both prepositions (IN and ON) are acceptable.

I hope this helps Oppo.

Best,

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker