English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.He resigned from his last job because of ill health.
Understandably so, the Native Americans would not easily give up their land.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “resigned from his job” and “ill health”? “Stepped down from his job “and “poor health”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “give up”? “abandon” or “desert”?

2.The economic recession and the high unemployment have caused many of the young generation to forsake hope of finding a good job and living a quality life.

One of the reasons that obese people can’t help being overweight is that overeating releases feel-good hormones that improve the mood.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “forsake”? “give up”, “quit” or “relinquish”?
(2.)    In the second, what is another word for “releases”?

3. The family deserted the house and moved away after the incident.
The computer set up has been aborted because there was an error during registration.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “deserted”? “abandoned”, “aborted” or “gave up”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “aborted”? “abandoned”, “quit” or “gave up”?

4. In the last half of the 20th century, Great Britain relinquished control over most of its remaining colonies in North America.
He felt the only way his art could be liberated was to actually experience the heartbreak he painted about?

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “relinquished”? “give up “or what else?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “liberated”? “freed” or what else?

5. It was generally/usually thought that the Anasazi abandoned their settlements because of prolonged drought.
The study primarily/ mainly focused on chimpanzee reaction instead of its habits.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “generally” or what is another way to say “it was generally thought that…”?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “primarily” in the second?

6. National parks are mainly set aside for public recreational enjoyment.
Deer use their antlers chiefly to fight for leadership of a herd.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “mainly “and “set aside” ? “Primarily” or “largely “and “reserved”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “chiefly”? “mainly “or “primarily”?

7. The population was predominately composed of immigrants.
(1.)    What is a substitute for “predominately” in the sentence? “Mainly” or “primarily”?

Answer

We use step down" when we talk about withdrawing or resigning from an important position or office. If this is what you have in mind here, then yes, it's OK to use "step down", otherwise simply say "He quit his job because he was sick/because of his bad health"

(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “give up”? “abandon” or “desert”? I'd say "surrender" abandoning or deserting have different connotations.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “forsake”? “give up”, “quit” or “relinquish”? give up, and relinquish work
(2.)    In the second, what is another word for “releases”? none I can think of in this case

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “deserted”? “abandoned”, “aborted” or “gave up”? abandoned
I'd rephrase the entire sentence as it is one of those impersonal constructions that most if not all native English speakers avoid:
He abandoned/aborted/gave up on setting up the computer because of an error during registration.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “relinquished”? “give up “or what else? renounced
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “liberated”? “freed” or what else? none I can think of

I rephrased the second:
The study focused primarily/ mainly on the chimpanzee reaction instead of its habits.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “generally” or what is another way to say “it was generally thought that…”? mainly, commonly, largely, universally
(2.)    What is a substitute for “primarily” in the second? chiefly, mainly, principally

mainly = generally, commonly, usually, primarily
set aside = reserved, designated
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “chiefly”? “mainly “or “primarily”? see previous question

(1.)    What is a substitute for “predominately” in the sentence? “Mainly” or “primarily”? either one  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker