English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.When you see a good opportunity, you should take it and do your best. If you hesitate, you may never get another chance.

When Phoebe’s boyfriend proposed to her, she replied yes without hesitation.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, should I say “..you may never get another opportunity”?
What is the difference?

2.One of the current trends in teenagers’ hobbies is playing with smartphones on the streets.

People with depression have an inclination to view the world in a much more negative way than common people.

(1.)    What is another way to say “current trend” and “playing with smartphones”?
“Current fad” and “fiddling with smartphones”?

(2.)   What is a good substitute for “have an inclination to”?  “Tend to”or “are prone to”?

3. Natural rubber is difficult to work with due to its tendency/ inclination to stick to most metals.
Listening to serene music will soothe one’s soul.

(1.)   If the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…to work with because it is easy to stick to most metals”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “serene”? “tranquil”, “calm”, “placid”or “peaceful”?

4.While the nanny is watching television with the children, the parents can have a peaceful dinner together.
To protect the undisturbed wildlife habitat of the national park, public access is strictly controlled.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “peaceful”? “Quiet” and “undisturbed”?
(2.)    In the second, what is substitute for “undisturbed” and “access”?
“Unexplored”or “pristine” and “entry”?

5.In my graduating class in high school, some of the outstanding students attended college and received the highest degree, whereas some of the students never went on to university or achieved great success.

It has been reported that increased postsurgical pain may occur when patients direct their attention towards the pain. Conversely, distraction can increase pain threshold and tolerance and reduce behavioral reactions.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first one, can I replace “whereas” with “on the other hand” or “conversely”?
For example, “…received the highest degree. On the contrary, some of the students..”
(2.)    In the second, can I replace “conversely” with “while” or “whereas”?
For example, “…direct their attention towards the pain, whereas/while distraction can increase….”?

6.
It was deceptive that below the calm surface waters, a subterranean earthquake was taking place.
(1.)   In the sentence, what is a substitute for “calm”? “peaceful”, “placid””serene” and “undisturbed”?
(2.)    Does the sentence imply that the earthquake under the calm water was not real?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
What is the difference? no difference

“Current fad” and “fiddling with smartphones”? yes, these alternatives are OK

(2.)   What is a good substitute for “have an inclination to”?  “Tend to”or “are prone to”? either one of the two

3. Natural rubber is difficult to work with due to its tendency/ inclination to stick to most metals. >>> inclination doesn't work here

(1.)   If the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…to work with because it is easy to stick to most metals”? yes, even though to me it sounds a bit impersonal; you can say "because it easily  sticks to most metals" instead
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “serene”? “tranquil”, “calm”, “placid”or “peaceful”? any one of those, but we rarely (never) use placid when it comes to music

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “peaceful”? “Quiet” and “undisturbed”? yes
“Unexplored”or “pristine” and “entry”? unexplored and entry

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first one, can I replace “whereas” with “on the other hand” or “conversely”? yes
For example, “…received the highest degree. On the contrary, some of the students..” I guess you meant "on the other hand" here; on the contrary isn't the best option
(2.)    In the second, can I replace “conversely” with “while” or “whereas”? yes

6.
(1.)   In the sentence, what is a substitute for “calm”? “peaceful”, “placid”, ”serene” and “undisturbed”? any one of these
(2.)    Does the sentence imply that the earthquake under the calm water was not real? not at all  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker