English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.The opposite of dark is light/bright.
Slow is the contrary of fast.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    Does it mean the same if I say “Dark is the contrary of bright” for the first sentence and “The opposite of slow is quick”for the second?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “opposite” in the first sentence? “Antithesis”, “converse” or “contrary”?

2.The more work I do, the more money I make. The opposite is also true.
The antithesis to the severe Baroque style was the Rococo.

Are all sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first one, what is a substitute for “opposite”? “Converse”or “antithesis”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “antithesis”? “Opposite” or “converse”?

3.   If more than one egg has been removed from the nest, the mother bird will abandon it entirely.
Some mothers may abandon their children after their husbands leave them.

(1.)    What is a good substitute for “abandon “in each of the sentences above? “Leave”, “desert”, “forsake” or “give up”?

4.   We aborted our plan because of insufficient funds.
The pregnant girl decided to have an abortion after her boyfriend left her.

(1.)    What is substitute for “aborted’ in the first sentence? “Gave up”, “abandon” and “quit”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The pregnant girl decided to abort her own baby”?

5. Microwave heating of food releases toxic material from the plastic into the food.
Smart phones are generally popular with young people because of their multifunctional features and distinct designs.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “Microwaving foods in plastic containers releases toxic and cancer- causing chemicals into the foods”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “generally”? “largely”, “mainly””primarily” or “usually”?

6.The purpose of this course is to mainly help students increase their vocabulary.
After I arrive in my office, I routinely check my e-mail and read important information before I start my daily work.

(1.)    In the second, can I replace “mainly” with “largely”, “commonly”or “chiefly”?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “routinely” in the second? “usually”or “normally”?

7. The bird is predominately red with black around its eyes and wings.
 The bird has predominately red feathers with black around its eyes and wings.

Do both have the same meaning?

Answer
1.The opposite of dark is light/bright.
Slow is the contrary of fast.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but "opposite" not "contrary"
(1.)    Does it mean the same if I say “Dark is the contrary of bright” for the first sentence No
and “The opposite of slow is quick”for the second? this is correct - see above
(2.)    What is a substitute for “opposite” in the first sentence? “Antithesis”, “converse” or “contrary”? none of the above actually. I don't think there is any synonym for "opposite" in sentences like these.

Are all sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first one, what is a substitute for “opposite”? “Converse”or “antithesis”? I'd stick to "opposite" here
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “antithesis”? “Opposite” or “converse”? opposite; in my opinion, converse doesn't work here

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    What is a good substitute for “abandon “in each of the sentences above? “Leave”,  “desert”, “forsake” or “give up”? any of these.

(1.)    What is substitute for “aborted’ in the first sentence? “Gave up”, “abandon” and “quit”? any of these.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The pregnant girl decided to abort her own baby”? yes, but "own" is redundant here.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “Microwaving foods in plastic containers releases toxic and cancer- causing chemicals into the foods”? yes
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “generally”? “largely”, “mainly””primarily” or “usually”? any of these

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes, but we usually say "I arrive at the office"

(1.)    In the second, can I replace “mainly” with “largely”, “commonly”or “chiefly”? any of these (this is about the first sentence, right?)
(2.)    What is a substitute for “routinely” in the second? “usually”or “normally”? any of the two

Do both have the same meaning? absolutely.

As always I hope this is helpful Oppo.

Best,

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker