English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. The independent care the professor showed the students fostered their motivation for learning.
Asteroids were not of much interest to many nineteenth century astronomers.

(1.)   In the first sentence, can I also replace “care…showed” with “concern..showed”, “attention …gave”, “interest…showed”or “regard…paid”?
(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “interest”? “concern” or “regard”? Or can say also, “many nineteenth century astronomers were not much interested in Asteroids”?

2.The recent bribery scandal concerning the government official drew the attention of a nation.
  He was driving without regard to speed limits and the traffic regulations.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “drew the attention of a nation”?
“Received the attention..”, “attracted the attention…”or “captured/caught the attention..”?
(2.)   In the second, can I say also, “He paid no regard to speed limits and the traffic regulations while driving”?

3. One third of the soldiers were killed in the process of the war.
Life expectancy has increased due to medical advances.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “in the process of the war”?
“In the course of the war”, “in the progress the war”or “during the war”?
(2.)    In the second, “what is a substitute for “advances”? “development”, “advancements”, “technology” or “progress”?

4.Drugs can slow down the progress/progression of the disease, but not cure it.
The planet had been hit by many small pieces of debris, creating a crated surface.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “progress”? “advances”, “development”, “progress” or what else?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “debris”? “fragments”, “remains” or “wreckage”?

5.The investigators ordered the paint flakes to be analyzed for forensic evidence.
The wreckage of the Lusitania was found in1996.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “flakes”?  “Chips”or “layers”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “Remains”or what else?

6. The human hand is capable of both brute strength and delicate tasks.
When first born, most mammals are feeble and require care from the parent.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “brute” and “delicate”?
“Physical”and “fragile”, “fine”or “sophisticated” or what else?
(2.)  In the second, what is a substitute for “feeble”? Weak”, “fragile”,”flabby”frail”?

7. Practice and perseverance are indispensable in the process of learning English.
Most models try to keep slender and fit, so they can stay competitive in the industry.

Answer

Not sure what you mean by "independent care" here?!? feel free to follow up
(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “interest”? “concern” or “regard”? yes to concern, no to regard Or can say also, “many nineteenth century astronomers were not much interested in Asteroids”? ...I'd say: Not too many astronomers in the nineteenth century were interested in asteroids.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but "the nation"
“Received the attention..”, “attracted the attention…”or “captured/caught the attention..”? Captured or caught are fine.
(2.)   In the second, can I say also, “He paid no regard to speed limits and the traffic regulations while driving”? Yes. Better yet, "he was driving disregarding..."

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but "were killed during the war"
“In the course of the war”, “in the progress the war”or “during the war”? See above. No other expression sounds right to me.
(2.)    In the second, “what is a substitute for “advances”? “development”, “advancements”, “technology” or “progress”? Any of these work but the meaning will change. Developments' , advancements, and progress are the closest in meaning to advances

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “progress”? “advances”, “development”, “progress” or what else? Advancement or development.
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “debris”? “fragments”, “remains” or “wreckage”? Remains or wreckage

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “flakes”?  “Chips”or “layers”? Chips
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “Remains”or what else? Not sure what the question is here?!

"When born " instead of "when first born" (they are only born once!)

“Physical”and “fragile”, “fine”or “sophisticated” or what else? Yes to physical; yes to fine. Fragile or sophisticated don't work for me here.
(2.)  In the second, what is a substitute for “feeble”? Weak”, “fragile”,”flabby”frail”? Yes to all

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker