English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. I sent John an e-mail, but he hasn’t responded to it.
The prime minister stepped down to take the responsibility for responding too slowly to the disaster caused by typhoon Morakot.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “I sent John some questions by e-mail, but he hasn’t replied to them”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The prime minister stepped down for his slow response to the disaster ….”?

2.John is a nice guy who doesn’t know how to reject others, so he often gets himself in trouble.

He asked her if he could buy her a drink, but she declined/refused/ rejected/turned down his offer.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “reject” with “refuse”, “decline” or “turn others down”?
(2.)    In the second, can I leave out “his offer” and just say “but he declined/refused/ rejected”?

3. School enrollments in Taiwan have declined quickly due to the decreasing birth rate.
An economic recovery causes unemployment to decline. On the contrary, unemployment rises because of a poor economy.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “due to a decrease in the birth rate”?

4.His grades slipped a lot recently because he was preoccupied with online games.
He is not eligible to join the army because of his poor health.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “His preoccupation with online games caused his grades to slip a lot”?
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “he is not eligible to join the army”?

5. There is a break in this class and the lecture/discussion will resume after the break.
I asked the post office to hold my mail and resume the delivery one month later.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “…in the class and the teacher will resume the lecture/discussion after the break”?
(2.)    In the second, can I also say “one month after”?

6. It was a great relief for the parents to find their children safe after they ran away from home for weeks.
The patch can help you relieve the pain and soreness in your muscles.

(1.)     In the second, can I say also, “The patch can bring relief to the pain and …”?

7. She said she was a vegetarian but ate a lot of pork and chicken at dinner. She was contradicting herself.

Is the sentence grammatically correct?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “I sent John some questions by e-mail, but he hasn’t replied to them”? yes
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The prime minister stepped down for his slow response to the disaster ….”? yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “reject” with “refuse”, “decline” or “turn others down”? yes
(2.)    In the second, can I leave out “his offer” and just say “but he declined/refused/ rejected”? yes

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? yes but "school enrollment"
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “due to a decrease in the birth rate”? yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “His preoccupation with online games caused his grades to slip a lot”? yes
he's not allowed to join the army; he's ineligible to join the army; he can't join the army

Are both sentences grammatically correct? the first sounds odd. I'd say:
We're going to take a break and continue with the lecture/discussions after the break.
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “…in the class and the teacher will resume the lecture/discussion after the break”? If you mean resume the lecture, yes, that works; if you mean resume the discussion(s) I wouldn't recommend using "teacher" as a discussion involves at least two participants, and the teacher is not always a participant in the discussion(s).
(2.)    In the second, can I also say “one month after”? No, it would be incorrect/incomplete. One month after what?

(1.)     In the second, can I say also, “The patch can bring relief to the pain and …”? yes

Is the sentence grammatically correct? yes but the second should read: She contradicted herself.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker