English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.He summarized his thesis paper into one, paragraph-long abstract for the journal.
Encyclopedias are meant to encapsulate all the general knowledge of that era.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “summarize a thesis into an abstract”?  “Sum up a thesis into an abstract “, “condensed a thesis into an abstract”or “turn/make a thesis into a summary?

(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “encapsulate”? “Cover”or “summarize”?

2. Students endeavor to improve their language skills and expand their knowledge of English.
Author James Joyce continues to influence all writers who strive to write the ordinary.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “endeavor”? “Try hard”, “strive”or “do/try their best”, “make efforts” or “go all out” ?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “Strive”? “Try”, “endeavor”, “try/do their best”, “make every effort” or “go all out”?

3. As a man of color, he struggled to continue his education because most universities only accepted whites.
Male peacocks proudly display their magnificently colored feathers.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “struggled”?“Tried hard”,”strived”, “did their best”, “made efforts”or “had difficult”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “display”? “Show”, “exhibit”, “showcase”or “unveil”?

4.The goal of Bebop was to showcase jazz as a true art form.
The English class provides students with opportunities to showcase their language skills.

(1.)   In the two sentences above, can I replace “showcase” with “show”, “exhibit”, “display”or “demonstrate”?

5. When exposed to sunlight, our skin makes vitamin D, but long term exposure may cause skin cancer.
The largest telescopes disclose millions of galaxies and billions of stars.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “exposed to sunlight” in the first sentence? “Uncovered to sunlight”or what else?
(2.)    In he second, what is a substitute for “disclose”? “Reveal”, “show”, “unveil”or “unclose”?

6. Opponents point out that the resources of the world are not distributed evenly.
The theory indicates we choose words that are linked to our behavior.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “point out”? “Indicate”, “reveal”, “disclosed”, “uncovered” or “unveil”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “indicate”? “show”, “showcase”, “reveal”, “display”, “point out”, “disclose” or “unveil”?

Answer

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “summarize a thesis into an abstract”?  “Sum up a thesis into an abstract “, “condensed a thesis into an abstract”or “turn/make a thesis into a summary? any of those are synonyms, but I'd actually stick to "summarize" as it's the most popular word choice for this situation

(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “encapsulate”? “Cover”or “summarize”? either one, but I favor "summarize"

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “endeavor”? “Try hard”, “strive”or “do/try their best”, “make efforts” or “go all out” ? any of these
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “Strive”? “Try”, “endeavor”, “try/do their best”, “make every effort” or “go all out”? any of these

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “struggled”?“Tried hard”,”strived”, “did their best”, “made efforts”or “had difficult”? tried hard, strived, did his best, made efforts, had a hard time/difficulties
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “display”? “Show”, “exhibit”, “showcase”or “unveil”? show, showcase and exhibit work here

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but I'd say "demonstrate" instead of "showcase" in the second
(1.)   In the two sentences above, can I replace “showcase” with “show”, “exhibit”, “display”or “demonstrate”? you could
I'd use promote in the first and demonstrate in the second.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but "reveal" instead of "disclose" in the second
(1.)    What is a substitute for “exposed to sunlight” in the first sentence? “Uncovered to sunlight”or what else? no synonym/substitute here really
(2.)    In he second, what is a substitute for “disclose”? “Reveal”, “show”, “unveil”or “unclose”? see above

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “point out”? “Indicate”, “reveal”, “disclosed”, “uncovered” or “unveil”? indicate or reveal
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “indicate”? “show”, “showcase”, “reveal”, “display”, “point out”, “disclose” or “unveil”? shows, reveals, points out  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker