English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.Social customs greatly vary from country to country.
These cars vary in size: small, medium and large.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Social customs are greatly different from country to country”or “there are great differences in customs among countries”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “These cars come in different sizes: small, medium and large”?

2.Mobile phone companies transmit communication or messages via towers.
With the use of the Internet, people can transmit a file from one computer to another in just a second.

(1.)   In each of the sentences above, does it mean the same if I replace “transmit” with “send”?

3.A competent secretary must be good at typing, filing and organizing documents.
I filed a claim with the company for a double charge on my credit card.

(1.) In the first sentence, can I leave out “documents”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “I filed a claim with the company for overcharging my credit card”?

4.With the advent of the computer, many different kinds of criminal activities could happen in cyberspace.
The accident on MRT caused its operation to be suspended for a while.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I replace “in cyberspace” with “on the Internet”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The accident on MRT suspended its operation for a while”?

5.The store offers a big sale that is restricted to members and certain products only.
He is restricted from watching TV and playing computer games because his parents want him to focus on his school career.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “restricted” with “limited”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “His parents restrict him from watching TV and playing computer games because they want him to focus on his school career”?

6.Wine usually tastes better when it has been preserved for a long time.
To promote animal rights, scientists travel far and wide to save and preserve endangered species.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “preserved” with “kept” or “stored”?
In the second, what is a substitute for “preserve”

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but "vary greatly"
(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Social customs are greatly different from country to country”or “there are great differences in customs among countries”? Yes
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say, “These cars come in different sizes: small, medium and large”? Yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)   In each of the sentences above, does it mean the same if I replace “transmit” with “send”? Yes

(1.) In the first sentence, can I leave out “documents”? The sentence would be incomplete.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “I filed a claim with the company for overcharging my credit card”? Yes, but the meaning is not identical.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is the difference if I replace “in cyberspace” with “on the Internet”? None
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “The accident on MRT suspended its operation for a while”? Yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes, but either school or career in the second.
(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “restricted” with “limited”? Yes. "restricted" is a better choice though.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “His parents restrict him from watching TV and playing computer games because they want him to focus on his school career”? Yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I replace “preserved” with “kept” or “stored”? Yes
In the second, what is a substitute for “preserve”  protect  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker