English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.
In high school, he started to hang out with bad friends and went astray.
Jean is a loving person. She often takes stray dogs home and cares for them.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “In high school, he met some bad friends and strayed from the right way”?

2. He was once a Buddhist and then was converted to Christianity after he heard the gospel.
 His English proficiency is unparalleled to other students.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “he heard the gospel”?
(2.)   In the second, what is another way to say “unparalleled”?

3. His illness became more severe after he left it untreated for days.
 Our president has two years left in his four-year tenure.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is another way to say “after he left it untreated for days”?
(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “tenure” with “term”?

4. John and David are two main contenders for this year’s mayor election.
 You can measure the size of a table with a ruler.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “John is David’s top contender for this years’ mayor election”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “You can use to ruler to gauge the size of a table”?

5. Today only, you can get two for the price of one.
 A salesperson often persuades customers to buy his product using different gimmicks.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Today only, you can buy one get another free”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I change “using” to “with”?

6. Belgium defeated South Korea, bringing their World Cup campaign to an end.
 You need to gauge the size of the table before you buy a tablecloth.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “bringing their World Cup campaign to an end”?

7. The movie asks the deeper questions of life while adding one part romance and one part action. Do we see Oscar material?
The staff at the castle will prepare a special feast by firelight emulating the traditional royal feasts of the 17th century.

(1.)    What is meant by “Do we see Oscar material”?
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “emulating”? “Copying” or “simulating”?

Answer
1.

Are all the sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)   In the first sentence, can I say also, “In high school, he met some bad friends and strayed from the right way”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd rephrase the first:
He was a Buddhist once but was converted to Christianity...
Also, the second should read "His English proficiency is unparalleled"
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “he heard the gospel”? none really (here to hear the gospel means to hear/learn about Christ)
(2.)   In the second, what is another way to say “unparalleled”? unique, exceptional, rare, unmatched, superlative.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is another way to say “after he left it untreated for days”? after he neglected (his) treatment
(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “tenure” with “term”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “John is David’s top contender for this years’ mayor election”? yes but the meaning changes
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “You can use to ruler to gauge the size of a table”? No; "to gauge" here means to estimate.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Today only, you can buy one get another free”? yes, better yet: Today only, if you buy one, you get the other/another free.
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I change “using” to “with”? yes

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “bringing their World Cup campaign to an end”? eliminating them from the World Cup (competition)

(1.)    What is meant by “Do we see Oscar material”? Is this movie worth an Oscar nomination?
(2.)    In the second, what is another way to say “emulating”? “Copying” or “simulating”? I'd say imitating or mimicking. Simulating may also work.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker