English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. She always begins her lecture in music class with a definition of what percussion actually means.
The TV star looks sincere and easy going on TV. Actually, she is rude and unfriendly in private.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “actually”? “Really”, “truly”, “indeed”, “genuinely”, “in fact”or “virtually”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “actually”? “Really”, “truly”, “indeed”, “genuinely”, “in fact”or “virtually”?

2.  Instruments that, under normal conditions, work fine are virtually useless when used over the Arctic Ocean.
  He works all night every night; he virtually lives in his office.
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “virtually”? “Really”, “almost”,“truly”, “indeed”, “genuinely”, “in fact”or “actually”?
(2.)    In the second,  what is a substitute for “virtually”? Really”, “almost”, “truly”, “indeed”, “genuinely”, “in fact”or “actually”?
(3.)    Does “instruments”in the first sentence refer to “musical instruments” ?

3. He pushed his students to do their best because he genuinely cared for them.
 Nobody really knows what exists at the center of the Sun.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “genuinely”? Really”, “truly”, “indeed”, “in fact”or “actually”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “really”? Really”, “exactly”,“truly”, “indeed”, “genuinely”, “in fact”or “actually”?

4. Indeed her poems appeared to be extremely compressed essays.
 A: John gets straight A’s every semester.
 B: He is indeed a good student.

(1.)   Does the conversation make sense?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “indeed” in each of the sentences?  
“Really”, “truly”, “genuinely”, “exactly”, “in fact”or “actually”?
(3.)    What is meant by “compressed essays”?

5. The new robots are strong enough to withstand exposure to unpleasant environments.
 The sturdy steel cables sustained the weight of traffic on the bridge.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “withstand” in the first sentence? “Endure”,“sustain”, “tolerate”, “bear”, “resist”, “stand”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “sustained”? “Withstood”, “endured”, “bore”, “tolerated”,‘resisted”,“supported”or“stand”?

6. These plants are able to tolerate high concentrations of carbon dioxide.
The human body can bear extremely high temperatures if enough water is consumed.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “tolerate”? “Endure”, “withstand”,“sustain”, “bear”, “resist”, “stand”?
(2.) In the second sentence, what is a substitute for “bear”? “Endure”, “withstand”,“sustain”, “tolerate”, “resist”, “stand”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes but "in her/the music class"
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “actually”? “Really”, “truly”, “indeed”, “in fact”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “actually”? “Really”, “truly”, “indeed”, “in fact”

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “virtually”? “almost”
(2.)   In the second,  what is a substitute for “virtually”? “almost”
(3.)   Does “instruments”in the first sentence refer to “musical instruments” ? I doubt this is about musical instruments - I'm guessing compasses and/or measuring devices, but I need more context here.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “genuinely”? Really”, “truly”, “indeed”, “in fact” or "actually"
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “really”? Really”, “exactly”,“truly”, “indeed”, “genuinely”, “in fact”or “actually”

B: He is indeed a good student.

(1.)   Does the conversation make sense? Yes
“Really”, “truly”, “in fact”or “actually”
(3.)    What is meant by “compressed essays”? No idea...

(1.)    What is a substitute for “withstand” in the first sentence? “Endure”, “tolerate”, “bear”, “resist”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “sustained”? “Withstood”, “bore", "tolerated", "supported”

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “tolerate”? “Endure”, “withstand”
(2.) In the second sentence, what is a substitute for “bear”? “Endure”, “withstand”, “tolerate”

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker