English as a Second Language/follow-up

Question
1. Since the temperature dropped to minus one degree, stores and businesses only opened around 12 noon.

(1.) I wonder if the second part of the sentence is correct.It is confusing to me.

Does it imply that stores were open until noon or they remained closed until noon?

(2.) If the sentence is correct, what is another way to rephrase the sentence?

(3.) How do I rephrase the sentence using "until"?

Answer
Oppo,

the entire sentence is correct as written. Not sure what is the "second part" that you're confused about.

Since the temperature dropped to minus one degree, stores and businesses only opened around 12 noon.

The implication is that the stores weren't opened (remained closed) before noon due to the cold weather.

There are many ways of rephrasing the sentence . See below. Three of my suggestions use "until"

* Stores and businesses were closed until noon because the temperature dropped to minus one degree.

* Stores and businesses stayed closed until noon because...

* Stores and businesses opened around 12 noon because the temperature dropped ...

* Since the temperature dropped to minus one degree, stores and businesses haven't opened until 12 noon.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker