English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. The fog dispersed quickly when the sun came out.
The cattle dispersed in fear when they were attacked by the tigers.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “dispersed”? “Dispelled” or “burned away” or “went away”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “the cattle”? “The herd” or “the cows”?

2. This type of plant is dispersed all over the island.
 Most students’ test scores fall in the range of 700 to 800.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I use the active voice, “This type of plant disperses all over the island” or can I say also, “this type of plant ranges from the north of the island to the south”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “range” with “scale”?

3.  I enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities, ranging from swimming and skiing to golfing.
  If you need quick approval for your vacation time, you have to know when and how to approach the boss.

(1.)    How do I rephrase the first sentence if I use four items in the list?  “..ranging from swimming to skiing and from golfing to jogging”?
(2.)   In the second, what is another way to say “how to approach the boss”?

4. With the approach of the Chinese year, all employees are looking forward to bonuses.
 We often see bank employees approaching customers in the mall and trying to sell them credit cards.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “with the approach of the Chinese year”?

5. I’d rather stay home than go out to eat.
 I prefer to live in a small town rather than a big city.

(1.)    Does the first sentence mean the same if I say “I prefer to stay home rather than go out to eat”?
(2.)    In the second, should I place “live in” in front of “a big city”or can I say also, “I prefer living in a small town to living in a big city”?

6. Since I don’t like to discuss my personal matters at work, you should respect my preference and stop asking me private questions.
 The noise disturbed me so much that I couldn’t sleep.

(1.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “disturbed”?

7. A computer can perform many tasks at once.
 I feel disturbed when my roommate keeps walking in and out of the room.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “A computer can multitask at once”?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? Yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “dispersed”? “went away”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “the cattle”? “The herd”

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd rephrase the first: spread instead of dispersed
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I use the active voice, “This type of plant disperses all over the island” sounds odd
or can I say also, “this type of plant ranges from the north of the island to the south”? Absolutely not
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “range” with “scale”? No

(1.)    How do I rephrase the first sentence if I use four items in the list?  “..ranging from swimming to skiing and from golfing to jogging”? Yes
(2.)   In the second, what is another way to say “how to approach the boss”? How to talk to the boss

Are both sentences grammatically correct? a credit card can't be sold; also I'd say "looking forward to receiving their bonuses"
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is another way to say “with the approach of the Chinese year”? As the Chinese new year is coming

(1.)    Does the first sentence mean the same if I say “I prefer to stay home rather than go out to eat”? Yes
(2.)    In the second, should I place “live in” in front of “a big city” no,it belongs in front of "small town"
or can I say also, “I prefer living in a small town to living in a big city”? Yes

(1.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “disturbed”? Bothered

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “A computer can multitask at once”? No.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker