English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. The Aztec number system was considered clumsy and cumbersome.
Altering the DNA structure of the animal was more complex than originally thought.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “cumbersome”? “Complicated”, “complex”, “intricate”, “elaborate”, “sophisticated”,  troublesome”, tricky”,“bulky”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “complex”? “Complicated”, “cumbersome”,“intricate”, “elaborate”, “sophisticated”,  troublesome”, tricky”?
(3.)    In the first sentence, what is another word for “clumsy”? “Large” or “heavy”?

2.  At first, Helen Keller's speech was difficult to understand.
  Women's language is often centered on building consensus.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “difficult” in the first sentence? “Hard”, “tough”, “arduous”, “tricky”, “strenuous”, “troublesome”, “complicated”, “sophisticated”?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “consensus”? “Unanimity”, “correspondence”, “accord”, “agreement”, “consent”?
(3.)    What does the second sentence imply?

3. In a group of free and independent-minded individuals, it is very hard to reach unanimity when trying to make a decision.
As the doctors predicted, the pathology test results from the different laboratories were in correspondence.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “unanimity”? “Consensus”, “correspondence”, “accord”, “agreement”, “consent”, “unity”?
(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “were in correspondence”? “were in Agreement”, “ were in accord”, “were in consensus”, “were in consistency”, “were in unanimity” or “matched”?

4.  The party leader's remarks were in accord with his political views.
Most sports historians are in agreement that Doubleday was not the actual inventor of baseball.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “accord”? “Agreement”, “correspondence”, “consistency”, “consensus”or “unanimity”?
(2.)    What is substitute for “agreement”in the second? “Accord”, “correspondence”, “consensus”, “unanimity”?

5. Plants convert the sun's energy, water, and carbon dioxide into sugars.
Michigan was significantly altered after the first contact between the Europeans and Native Americans.

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is substitute for “convert”? “Alter”, “modify” , “change” , “turn” or “transform”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “altered”? “Changed”, “revised”, “modified”or “what else”?

6.  Crime rates tend to fluctuate with social trends.
The social and economic fabric of America was largely revised with the invention of mass transportation.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “fluctuate” in the first sentence? “Change”, “vary”, “go up and down”or “alternate”?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “revised” In the second? “Changed”, “altered”, “converted”, “modified”, “reformed” or “reshaped”?

Answer

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “cumbersome”? “complex”, “intricate”, “elaborate”, “sophisticated”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “complex”? “Complicated”, “cumbersome”,“intricate”, “elaborate”, “sophisticated”
(3.)    In the first sentence, what is another word for “clumsy”? Here clumsy means awkward, improper

(1.)    What is a substitute for “difficult” in the first sentence? “Hard”, “tough”
(2.)    What is a substitute for “consensus”? “Unanimity”,“agreement”
(3.)    What does the second sentence imply? No idea. It's out of context and I can't make much sense of it. I'm guessing it means that women are usually trying to build consensus in all they say/do, but again, it's just a guess.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “unanimity”? Consensus, agreement
(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “were in correspondence”? “were in Agreement”, “matched”

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “accord”? “Agreement”, “correspondence”, “consistency”, “consensus”
(2.)    What is substitute for “agreement”in the second? “correspondence”

(1.)   In the first sentence, what is substitute for “convert”? “turn” "transform"
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “altered”? “Changed”, “revised”, “modified”or “what else”? I doubt the original sentence is correct so I can't suggest anything here. What do you mean by "Michigan was altered?"

(1.)    What is a substitute for “fluctuate” in the first sentence? “Change”, “vary”, “go up and down"
(2.)    What is a substitute for “revised” In the second? “Changed”, “altered”, “modified”

I hope this helps Oppo.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker