English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1. A sponge is a soft, porous material that is able to absorb liquid and clean a dirty surface.
People often use sponges to clean bathtubs, sinks or toilets.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “A sponge is an absorbent material used for cleaning purposes”?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “People often clean bathtubs, sinks or toilets with sponges”?

2. John was absorbed in playing online games all night, so he forgot to do his homework.
Students should avoid staying up all night before an exam because their brains cannot absorb too much information at once.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “John was so absorbed in playing online games that he didn’t do his homework all night”?
(2.)    In the second, can I replace “their brains” with “the brain”? What’s the difference?

3. The wall at the back divides this room from another.
Watching TV provides us with entertainment, relaxation as well as a source of news after a hard day’s work.
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I change “at the back” to “in the back”? What is the difference?
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “As well as a source of news, watching TV provides us with entertainment and relaxation after a hard day’s work”?

4. If you often get nervous before an exam, you should relax yourself by taking a walk or listening to music.

A:  There is man standing outside a window of the apartment. It looks like he is going to jump.
B: Relax! He is just painting the wall.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I leave out “yourself”?
(2.)    Does the conversation make sense? Does it mean the same if I replace “relax” with “take it easy”?

5. More and more Chinese immigrants move to other countries, starting to invest in local business and dominate the area’s economy.
Microsoft has been dominating the computer software market for a long time.

(1.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “dominating”?

6.   Hard work and a little luck are attributed to her success.
To promote its business, the company hires part timers to distribute flyers to passers-by.

(1.)    In the second, can I replace “to promote its business” with “to increase its exposure”?

7. The compnany is doing steady business.

In this sentence, may I say also, "The company's business is going steady"?

Answer

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes but I'd say "absorb liquids and clean dirty surfaces"
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “A sponge is an absorbent material used for cleaning purposes”? yes but not absorbent material, absorbent object perhaps
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “People often clean bathtubs, sinks or toilets with sponges”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes; the second sentence though sounds like it's missing some info... I don't see the connection between staying up all night and the brain absorbing info
(1.)    In the first sentence, can I say also, “John was so absorbed in playing online games that he didn’t do his homework all night”? yes but it sounds odd... as if he's supposed to have done his homework all night
(2.)    In the second, can I replace “their brains” with “the brain”? What’s the difference? you can; no difference

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I change “at the back” to “in the back”? What is the difference? yes, no difference; I'd rephrase the sentence as it's not making sense to me:
The wall at the back divides this room. or The wall at the back separates this room from another one.
(2.)    In the second, can I say also, “As well as a source of news, watching TV provides us with entertainment and relaxation after a hard day’s work”? no

B: Relax! He is just painting the wall.

(1.)    In the first sentence, can I leave out “yourself”? yes, I would
(2.)    Does the conversation make sense? yes but "there is A man standing outside THE apartment window"
Does it mean the same if I replace “relax” with “take it easy”? yes

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “dominating”? monopolizing

Are both sentences grammatically correct? the first should read:
Her success is attributed to hard work and a little luck
(1.)    In the second, can I replace “to promote its business” with “to increase its exposure”? yes

7. The company is doing steady business.

Going steady means dating one person exclusively...is this what you have in mind here?!

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker