English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.Peer groups tend to exert more influence on a teenager than his or her parents.
The arrested man exercised his right quickly and sought the advice of a lawyer.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “exert more influence on”? “Have more influence on”, “exercise more influence on”, “bring more influence on”or “apply more influence on”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “exercised”?  “Execute”, “exert”, “apply” or “use”?

2.Pitchers apply force to baseballs to achieve maximum velocities.
The Roman general commanded his troops use force on the resisting villagers.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “apply force to baseballs”? “Direct force to baseballs”, “generate force to baseballs”, “employ force to baseballs”, “exercise force to baseballs”, “use force on baseballs”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “use force on”? “Use violence against”,  “exert force on”, “exercise force on”, “apply force on”,“attack”, “invade”or“fight with?

3.The Egyptian's extraordinary way of life has become famous throughout history.
The volcano sprang into unwonted activity during the past night, belching steam and smoke.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “extraordinary”? “Unwonted”, “characteristic”, “distinctive”, “peculiar”, exceptional”, “special”, “outstanding”, “amazing”or “incredible”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “unwonted”?
“Unusual”,”abnormal”, “unexpected”,  “odd”,“characteristic”, “distinctive”, “peculiar”, exceptional”, “special”, “outstanding”, “amazing”or “incredible”?
(3.)    What is another way to say “sprang into”?

4.It was characteristic of the boss to take out his employees for lunch of their birthday.
The animal has distinctive white and black stripes all over its body.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “characteristic” in the first sentence?
“Unusual”,””unwonted”,”atypical”, ”abnormal”, “unexpected”,  “odd”, “distinctive”, “peculiar”, exceptional”, “special”, “amazing”, “unbelievable” or “incredible”?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “distinctive” in the second?
“Unusual”, ”characteristic “,”atypical”, ”abnormal”,  “odd”, “strange”, “peculiar”, “unwonted”,“exceptional”, “special”, “amazing”, “extraordinary”, “strange” or “incredible”?

5.One culture must have borrowed from another if two cultures shared a particular burial style or peculiar fishing method.
Mathematicians possess an exceptional talent to manage long chains of reasoning.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “peculiar” in the first sentence?
“Unusual”,””atypical”, ”“odd/strange”,, “unwonted”,“exceptional”, “special”, “amazing”, “extraordinary”,  “characteristic” or “incredible”?
(2.)   What is substitute for “exceptional”?
“Unusual”,””unwonted”, “unexpected”,  “odd”, “distinctive”, “peculiar”, exceptional”, “special”, “amazing”, “unbelievable” or “incredible”?

6.The company rules that employees must wait six months before they exercise their stock options.
I often feel tired after a workout because I exert myself during exercise.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “exercise”?
“Execute”, “exert”,  “sell”,“apply” or “use”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “exert myself”?  “Use up all my strength” or what else?

Answer

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “exert more influence on”? “Have more influence on”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “exercised”? “used”

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “apply force to baseballs”? “exercise force to baseballs”, “use force on baseballs”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “use force on”? “Use violence against”,  “attack”, “invade” “fight with"

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “extraordinary”? “Unwonted”,"exceptional”, “special”, “outstanding”, “amazing” or “incredible”
“Unusual”,”abnormal”, “unexpected”,  “odd”,“characteristic”, "exceptional”, “amazing”or “incredible”
(3.)    What is another way to say “sprang into”? started erupting:
The volcano started erupting last night, belching steam and smoke.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “characteristic” in the first sentence? typical for
(2.)    What is a substitute for “distinctive” in the second? ”characteristic “

(1.)    What is a substitute for “peculiar” in the first sentence? “special”,  “characteristic”
(2.)   What is substitute for “exceptional”? “Unusual”,””unwonted”, “distinctive”, “peculiar”, “special”, “amazing”, “unbelievable” or “incredible”

Are both sentences grammatically correct? yes
(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “exercise”? “use”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “exert myself”?  “Use up all my strength”  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker