English as a Second Language/sentences

Question
1.
He made his son the sole heir to his entire business empire.
Artists were attracted to Harlerm by its unique and dynamic culture.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “sole”? “Only”, “single”, “one and only”, “unique” or “solitary”?
(2.)    What is a substitute for “unique”? Only”, “single”, “one and only”, “sole”  “special”, “different”, “unusual”or “particular”?
(3.)    What is another way to say “business empire”?

2.
He lives in a quiet and remote area with only one convenience store.
His single fear was disappointing his parents.

Are both sentences grammatically correct?

(1.) In the first sentence, can I say also "....remote area with a solitary convenience store"?
(2.) Can I say also “a sole convenience store”, “a single convenience store” or“a lone convenience store”?
(3.)    What is a substitute for “single”?
“Sole”, “lone”, “Only”, “single”, or “solitary”?

3. Symbolism was the only outlet for the artists' religious messages.
People have been drawn to the little Mexican town of Taos due to its spectacular scenery and white beaches.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “only”?
“Solo”, “single”, “one and only”, “unique” or “solitary”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “spectacular”?
“Impressive”, “magnificent”, “imposing”, “striking”, “scenic”, “picturesque”, “splendid”, ‘grand”, “awesome”, “beautiful”or “wonderful”?
(3.)    What does the first sentence imply?

4.  The magnificent royal wedding was watched by television viewers all around the globe.
   Goliath, according to legend, was an imposing man, standing over seven feet tall.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “magnificent”in the first sentence?
“Impressive”, “magnificent”, “imposing”, “striking”, “scenic”, “picturesque”, “splendid”, ‘grand”, “awesome”, “beautiful”, “ spectacular’ or“wonderful”?

(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “imposing”?
“Impressive”, “magnificent”,  “striking”,  “splendid”, ‘grand”, “awesome”,  “ spectacular’ or“wonderful”?

5. The fireworks display over the lake was splendid.
The terrace offered a grand view of the city, especially at night.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “splendid”?
“Impressive”, “magnificent”, “imposing”, “striking”, “scenic”, “picturesque”,  ‘grand”, “awesome”, “beautiful”, “ spectacular’ or“wonderful”?

(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “grand”?
“Impressive”, “magnificent”, “imposing”, “striking”, “scenic”, “picturesque”,  ‘splendid”, “awesome”, “beautiful”, “ spectacular’ or“wonderful”?

6. The ancient city's remains were discovered off the coast of Mexico.
Researchers detected evidence of lava flows from 20 million years ago.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “discovered” in the first sentence?
“Found”, “spotted”, “explored”, “checked out”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “detected” in the second?
“Found”, “discovered”, “explored”, “perceived”, “spotted” , “noticed”, “observed”or  checked out”?
(3.)    What is another way to say “off” the coast of Mexico?

Answer
1. He made his son the sole heir to his entire business empire.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “sole”? “Only”, “single”
(2.)    What is a substitute for “unique”? “special”, “different”, “unusual"
(3.)    What is another way to say “business empire”? corporation, business cartel (I'd stick to business empire here)

2. He lives in a quiet and remote area with only one convenience store.

Are both sentences grammatically correct? I'd say "...remote area, where there is only one convenience store"

(1.) In the first sentence, can I say also "....remote area with a solitary convenience store"? No
(2.) Can I say also “a sole convenience store”, “a single convenience store” or“a lone convenience store”? single is the only "synonym" I'd use here
(3.)    What is a substitute for “single”? only one

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “only”? “single”, (“one and only”)
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “spectacular”? “Impressive”, “magnificent”, “imposing”, “striking”, “picturesque”, “splendid”, ‘grand”, “awesome”, “beautiful”or “wonderful”
(3.)    What does the first sentence imply? Art, in particular symbolism, was only way the artist expressed his religious beliefs.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “magnificent”in the first sentence? “Impressive”, “splendid”, “awesome”, “beautiful”, “ spectacular’ or “wonderful”

(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “imposing”? “Impressive”, large, huge

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “splendid”? “Impressive”, “magnificent”, “striking”,“beautiful”, “ spectacular’ or“wonderful”

(2.)   In the second, what is a substitute for “grand”? “Impressive”, “magnificent”, “imposing”, “striking”, “scenic”, “picturesque”,  ‘splendid”, “awesome”, “beautiful”, “ spectacular’ or“wonderful”

(1.)    What is a substitute for “discovered” in the first sentence? “Found”
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “detected” in the second? “Found”, “discovered”,  “noticed”, “observed”
(3.)    What is another way to say “off” the coast of Mexico? off the coast = away from the land = near the coast  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker