English as a Second Language/apostrophes

Question
i have real problem using apostrophes.different rules followed by books really confuse me.at times they are used with animals to show possession whereas grammar books prohibit us to do so.could you please suggest some good books or sites which explain the concept clearly.

Answer
I'm sorry. I don't know of any books or sites that might help you. I am very surprised to hear that some book or some person is telling you that apostrophes cannot be used with animals to show possession. I would like to know where you are getting such strange and erroneous information. Certainly apostrophes can be used to show possession by an animal, and such use is very common in English. Examples: The dog's water bowl is empty. The cat's fur is matted, and needs to be brushed.

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC