English as a Second Language/Clear reference

Question
QUESTION: Dear Professor,

"The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences was given the task of selecting the Economics Prize Laureates starting in 1969."

I have difficulty understanding "starting in". Which is starting in 1969? Is it the task, the Economics Prize, or the Laureates. Please give me your guideline.

Thanks and kind regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: Hello, Antoine,

It means that the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences started selecting the Economics Prize Laureates in 1969. That is, their task began in 1969.

Hope this helps.

Prof. Evona York

QUESTION: should a comma be inserted before "starting"? Or is it correct that way? Why?

Answer
Hello, Antoine,

There is an interesting rule for the use of the comma: it says that a comma can be used to clarify meaning, even when no other rules applies to the situation. In this case, putting a comma after "Laureates" makes the meaning much clearer.

Hope this helps.

Prof. Evona York

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC