English as a Second Language/Question

Question
QUESTION: Hi, Amy

Another problem I faced and hope you answer.

The veteran diplomats advised me like this: Pick a few big issues and own them. Neither admonition squared with the increasingly complex international landscape waiting for us.(Hard Chioces, Hillary Clinton, p 21)

Thank you very much

ANSWER: Hello again Hossein,

The veteran diplomats advised me like this: pick a few big issues and own them.

The veteran diplomats advised her to choose a few big/important issues (problems, ideas etc) and present them to the public with confidence, while taking responsibility for them.

Neither admonition squared with the increasingly complex international landscape waiting for us....

I am guessing this second sentence is a fragment, so I'm going to ask you to get back to me with the complete sentence. I can't really interpret the fragment unless I have the entire sentence.

Looking forward to hearing from you so I can help you with the second part of the text above.

Best,

Amy

Snapshot
Snapshot  
QUESTION: Hi Amy,
As you wanted me the complete sentence, I attached a snapshot of paragraph and underlined my answer.

My last question is what does (to name just a few) in the following ?

How to connect with young people around the world newly empowered by social media, to name just a few.

Yours Sincerely
Hossein

Answer
Hello again Hossein,

"To name just a few" is used when there are a lot of things to list (many choices) yet the person saying or writing this prefers to limit the amount of information.

Back to the book fragment from your previous question now. I apologize, I was reading it wrong, but now that you provided me with the context, I think I got it :)

Neither admonition squared with the increasingly complex international landscape waiting for us.

None of the two pieces of advice (neither admonition) were good ideas (squared) given the very complex international political situation that was ahead of them.

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker