English as a Second Language/have worked

How are you?

I have a question: What is the difference between a) and b)? Are they the same? Do they mean that the speaker is still working?

a) I have worked as an English teacher.

b) I have worked as an English teacher for two years.

Thank you
I wish you all the best in life.

Hi Hame,

a) is incomplete ...when you use the Present Perfect tense, most times you need to add an "unspecific time expression" like so far, before, once, many times, etc.

b) is a typical Present Perfect Tense type of sentence. In cases like this, the verb tense shows something that started in the past and has continued up until now:

I have worked as a teacher for two years.

Mary has lived in Los Angeles for three months.

I have loved ice cream since I was a little girl.

So, to answer your question, option b) means that the speaker is still working as an English teacher. Option a) - the sentence is incomplete.

I hope this helps.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed