English as a Second Language/Sentence and meaning

Question
QUESTION: Dear Amy,

Please let me know whether this sentence is grammatically correct or incorrect. If correct, what does it mean?

"People in Finland drink the most coffee in the world."

kind regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

ANSWER: Hello Antoine,

the sentence is correct. It means that Finnish are (among) the biggest coffee drinkers in the world.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy

QUESTION: so it is unnecessary to use an adjective after 'the most', for example "the most expensive".

ANSWER: I'm afraid I don't understand your follow up question Antoine.

Could you explain what you have in mind here?

Amy

QUESTION: The question in English for Starters 8 says:
Complete the Factbox with the superlative form of the adjectives or "the most".

Adjectives: Long large old fast deep expensive
Sentence 4: People of Finland drink .......coffee in the world.

The teacher of my son put the answer as follows:

People of Finland drink the most expensive coffee in the world.

Answer
Hello Antoine,

as I may have said before... the context is very important when you submit a question to me.

Given the question your son had to answer, then I'd say that the teacher is correct. The question was asking for the students to fill in the blanks with a superlative adjective (the choices of adjectives were: the longest, the largest, the oldest, the fastest, the deepest, and the most expensive). In the example above, the only superlative that makes sense is "the most expensive"

The final sentence should read:

Now, your original question was:

<<Please let me know whether this sentence is grammatically correct or incorrect. If correct, what does it mean?
"People in Finland drink the most coffee in the world.">>

As I said before, the sentence is correct, BUT that doesn't address the question your son had to answer. The correct answer for the question your son had to answer is the one the teacher suggested.

Hopefully in the future, when you send me questions you'll consider including the context. It is THAT important. When you take the question out of context it can cause a lot of confusion and my goal is to help, not to create even more confusion.

I hope I was able to clarify this for you.

Feel free to follow up though if you still think you need help here.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker