English as a Second Language/"of which" or "which"

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I don't know if I should use "of" or not. Also, which is better: act or operate.

Which of the following is correct:

1. Students should act/operate in a unit of which the activities are linked with your academic background.

2. Students should act/operate in a unit which the activities are linked with your academic background.

ANSWER: Henrique,

I'm confused here...

I'm not sure what is it you're trying to say with your sentence(s) above but none of them sounds correct to me.

Please get back to me and provide me with some more details: context, what is it you're trying to say, anything else you think may be relevant.

thank you for your understanding.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Amy

QUESTION: Ok, I corrected the sentences. But, the question remains about "of".

1. "Students should work in groups of which the activities are linked with their academic background."

2. "Students should work in groups which the activities are linked with their academic background."

Explanation: The activities that they will engage in has to be about what they are majoring in.

Answer
Thanks Henrique,

here is how I'd phrase this:

Students should work in groups, performing activities that are linked with their academic background.

better yet:

The groups the students should work in, should focus on activities related to their academic background.

You really can't use "which", or "of which" in this situation.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker