English as a Second Language/REQUEST OF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT AMERICAN ENGLISH WORDS AND PHRASES

Question
Could you please explain me what is a LIVING HOUSE?

I found this word in the following context that an American woman wrote me about her bad life mentioned below:

"I understand about having an elderly mother, mine is 81 and has Alzheimers Disease, and Thomas's mother is 82 and unable to live at home, she is in an assisted living home forever now."

She also wrote me this phrase listed below:

We are unable to get him the surgery he needs for his back because our share would exceed $20,000.00.  I get my insurance from my employer because it is 10 times more expensive through Obamacare. Could you also be so kind to explain me the word "SHARE" in in this context? Unfortunately I'm Italian and I strive to improve American English.

Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
Hey Giuliano,

I assume it's "assisted living home" that you need help with.

An assisted living home/house is a house/home where senior citizens can opt to live in. These houses provide the elderly with personnel that can help them with activities of daily living (cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, shopping, driving etc).

Also, "share" here means the financial contribution of this person or family towards the surgery; the amount of money they'd have to pay out of pocket for this person's back surgery.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker