English as a Second Language/REQUEST OF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT WORSD AND PHRASES TAKEN FROM THE AMERICAN BOOK "ROSA PARKS FREEDOM RIDER" BY KEITH BRANDTH ANDJOANNE MATTERN

Question
Could you please explain me in details what was in the times of Martin Luther King the association "BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS"? What does it mean "PORTER" in this case?
I have another question, that is what was a" BLACK TRADE UNION" in America?
I found these words and phrases indicated in the context below:

"They were Clifford and Virginia Durr, and Edgar D. Nixon Mr. and Mrs. Durr were white. He was a lawyer,and they were both active members of the civil rights movement.
E.D. Nixon,a black man,was regional director of the BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS,the first BLACK TRADE UNION in America."

Unfortunately I'm Italian and I strive to improve American English and American culture.

Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
Hi Giuliano,

A porter is a person whose job is to carry luggage and other loads, usually in a railroad station, airport, or hotel.

A trade union is a labor union, an organization formed by employees with the purpose of protecting their incomes and improving their working conditions by collective bargaining with the employer or employer organizations; a black trade union would be a labor union for those of African American origin.

I hope the above helps.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker