English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1. We have to delay sending the invitations because we couldn’t find a place for our wedding reception.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “we have to delay our invitation” or “we have to delay inviting our guests” ?

His proposition does not hold water./His proposition is invalid.
(2.) Do both have the same meaning?

2.It was a coincidence to meet Richard in the coffee shop.

(1.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “What a coincidence to meet Richard in the coffee shop” or “I met Richard in the coffee shop by chance”?

The control tower lost contact with the pilot.

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “lost contact with”? “Lost touch with”?

3. Facebook helps people reconnect with their old contacts and keep them up-to-date on what is happening in their lives.

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “old contacts”? “Old acquaintances”?

Medical personnel who have direct contact with patients are subject to infection.

(2.)    What is another way to say “are subject to infection”?

4.I often confuse John and his twin brother.

(1.)   In the sentence, may I say also, “I am often confused by/with John and his twin brother”?
Rita doesn’t have the nerve to talk back when her mother scolds her.

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “scolds”?  “reprimands” or “rebukes”?

5.The celebrity was deceived by her friend and tempted to invest in a big scam that made her suffer a great loss.

(1.) What is another way to say “tempted to invest in a big scam”?

I am not sure if the news source is reliable. We need to confirm further.
(2.) May I say also, “I am not sure if the news source is reliable. It needs to be confirmed further”?

Answer

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “we have to delay our invitation” or “we have to delay inviting our guests” ? You could, but I'd stick to the original.

(2.) Do both have the same meaning? yes

(1.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “What a coincidence to meet Richard in the coffee shop” or “I met Richard in the coffee shop by chance”? absolutely

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “lost contact with”? “Lost touch with”? yes

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “old contacts”? “Old acquaintances”? yes, that's a good option, even better than the original "contacts" if you ask me

(2.)   What is another way to say “are subject to infection”? are at risk of getting an infection, are vulnerable to/prone to/susceptible to/disposed to infections

(1.)   In the sentence, may I say also, “I am often confused by/with John and his twin brother”? No, the meaning would change.
I often confuse John... means you can't tell them apart.
I am often confused by/with... means their actions or their sayings confuse you.

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “scolds”?  “reprimands” or “rebukes”? you can use either one.. gotta be honest, I haven't heard anyone using "rebuke" though

(1.) What is another way to say “tempted to invest in a big scam”? enticed to spend money on a fraud (doesn't sound too natural, does it?!)

(2.) May I say also, “I am not sure if the news source is reliable. It needs to be confirmed further”? yes, you may.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker