English as a Second Language/Ambiguity

Question
Hi Amy

Would you please reword this for me ?

Thereís another mindset in which these traits (intelligence, personality) are not simply a hand youíre dealt and have to live with, always trying to convince yourself and others that you have a royal flush when youíre secretly worried itís a pair of tens.

Answer
Hi Hossein,

another interesting question from you :)

A bit of background - for those who are poker players, a royal flush is a winning hand compared to a pair of tens.

So the essence of the sentence you're asking above is the following:

You have to always convince yourself and the others that you are the best, and the brightest, regardless of what mother nature gave you at birth (personality, intelligence, etc), and you have to learn how to use these traits to your advantage every time. Sometimes in playing poker, you don't win because you have the best hand, you win because you somehow tricked your adversary into thinking you have the best hand. Basic human psychology ;)

Let me know if this helps, or if you still need my help here.

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker