English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.    
We delivered the parts to the customer last week.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “delivered”? “Sent” or what else?
I didn’t go to the party because I felt sick.

(2.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…because I didn’t feel well” or “…because I was not feeling well”?

2.
They were talking about the new design for hours.

(1.) Which verb tense should I use if say “for hours last night”?
They talked out (were talking about) the new design for hours last night.

I couldn’t talk to you yesterday when you called me.  I needed to hurry because my meeting had already started.

(2.) In the context, may I say also “I was rushing/hurrying because my meeting had already started”?

3 . Mr. Denny called to say the package you sent hadn’t arrived.

(1.) Does the sentence imply that the act of sending occurred before or after “calling”? Which action happened first and last?

(2.) If the writer/speaker just finished talking to Mr. Denny on the phone and the package is still on its way, is it possible to say “Mr. Denny called to say the package you sent hasn’t arrived”? If not, what is the correct way to say it?

4. I adore eating out.
(1.) What can be taken in place of “adore”? “Enjoy”?

I adore eating Thai food.
I adore Thai food.
(2. ) What is the difference between the two?

5. I appreciate your inviting me to dinner.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “I appreciate your invitation to dinner” or “Thank you for your invitation to dinner”?

We have to delay leaving because of the bad weather.
(2.) Does it mean the same if I replace “delay” with “postpone”?

Answer
1.   

(1.) What can be taken in place of “delivered”? “Sent” or what else? Send and deliver are not synonyms.
Handed over is a decent option, but I'd stick to delivered here.

(2.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…because I didn’t feel well” or “…because I was not feeling well”? yes

2.
They were talking about the new design for hours. (this should actually read "they talked about..."

(1.) Which verb tense should I use if say “for hours last night”? You need the past tense here:
They talked about the new design for hours last night.
In order to use the past continuous (like you did above) you'd have to talk about a past action that was interrupted by something. For ex: They were talking about the new design when the storm started.

(2.) In the context, may I say also “I was rushing/hurrying because my meeting had already started”? Yes

(1.) Does the sentence imply that the act of sending occurred before or after “calling”? Which action happened first and last?  Denny called after the package was sent. Also, I see no reason for using the Past Perfect here, so your sentence should read: Mr. Denny... hasn't arrived.

(2.) If the writer/speaker just finished talking to Mr. Denny on the phone and the package is still on its way, is it possible to say “Mr. Denny called to say the package you sent hasn’t arrived”? If not, what is the correct way to say it? See above. In my opinion you don't need to use the Past Perfect here.

4. I adore eating out.
(1.) What can be taken in place of “adore”? “Enjoy”? Yes.

I adore eating Thai food.
I adore Thai food.
(2. ) What is the difference between the two? None.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “I appreciate your invitation to dinner” or “Thank you for your invitation to dinner”? yes

(2.) Does it mean the same if I replace “delay” with “postpone”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker