English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.   
The language school offers all kinds of courses that involve listening, reading, speaking and writing.

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “involve”? “Include”?

When I met Rita, she mentioned that she joined a company recently.

(2.) In the sentence, may I just say, “…she mentioned joining a company recently”?

2. At the end of the interview, he said to the manager, “Please let me know if anything comes up. I’d appreciate hearing from you soon.”

(1.)   In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “comes up”?

She finished studying about 10.

(2.)   Does it mean the same if I replace “about 10” with “around 10”? Or may I say “at about 10 o’clock”?

3.Would you mind telling me where she is?
  Do you care to tell me where she is?

(1.) Are both sentences close in meaning?

The teacher asked John to justify being late again.

(2.)Does it mean the same if I say “The teacher asked John to explain why he was late again”?

4.He arranged to meet me at the airport.
 He offered to pick me up at the airport.

(1.)   Do both have the same meaning? What is the difference?

He offered to treat me, but I declined.

(2.)   In the sentence, may I say also, “He offered to treat, but I turned him down”?

5. Follow-up
Mr. Denny called to say the package you sent hadn’t arrived.

(1.) Does the sentence imply that the act of sending occurred before or after “calling”? Which action happened first and last?  Denny called after the package was sent. Also, I see no reason for using the Past Perfect here, so your sentence should read: Mr. Denny... hasn't arrived.

My follow-up question:
Here is the scenario I was thinking of : The package was sent last Monday. Mr. Denny called to say last Friday that he hadn’t received the package.

How do I describe the scenario in one sentence? The same as the orignal one?

Answer
1.    

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “involve”? “Include”? yes

(2.) In the sentence, may I just say, “…she mentioned joining a company recently”? yes

(1.)    In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “comes up”? I'd leave it as is, there is really nothing you can replace it with.

She finished studying about 10. - this wouldn't be correct

(2.)    Does it mean the same if I replace “about 10” with “around 10”? Or may I say “at about 10 o’clock”? "around 10" or "at about 10 o'clock" are both correct

Do you care to tell me where she is?

(1.) Are both sentences close in meaning? yes

(2.)Does it mean the same if I say “The teacher asked John to explain why he was late again”? yes

(1.)    Do both have the same meaning? What is the difference? No. The first implies the two people will meet at the airport, the second implies that someone will pick up the other person from the airport and help them get to a different place (most likely drive them somewhere).

He offered to treat me, but I declined.

(2.)    In the sentence, may I say also, “He offered to treat, but I turned him down”? yes

5. Follow-up

My follow-up question:

Mr. Denny called last Friday to let me know that he hadn't yet received the package you sent him last Monday. (I'd actually break this down into two sentences. Mr Denny called last Friday. He told me he hadn't received the package you sent him last Monday.)  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker