English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.    
Residents in low-lying areas are often evacuated to nearby shelters during typhoon.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “shelters”? “Refuges”?

Mr. Wang’s teaching has had a great influence on me.

(2.)What can be taken in place of “teaching”?  “Instruction”?

2.After the animal was shot by a tranquilizer dart, it would have run off before the drug could take effect.

(1.)In the sentence, should I say, “…it would run off before…”?

Most medicines don’t take effect immediately. Patients normally have to wait a while before the drugs start working.

(2.)In the second sentence, may I say, “It normally takes a while before the drugs start working on patients”?

3. Global warming has had marked effects on the world’s climate.

(1.)In the sentence, may I say, “Global warming has affected the word’s climate greatly”?

The president has received harsh criticism because he failed to deal with a series of crises.

(2.)In the sentence, may I say, “…because of his failure to deal with a series of crises”?

4. Many people are very critical of the government’s polices.
Many people criticize the government’s policies harshly.

(1.)Are both sentences close in meaning? What is the difference?

If the end of the world ever comes, it will be a disaster.

(2.)Does it mean the same if I replace “disaster” with “catastrophe”?

5.M: You didn’t show up for the class last week. Were you sick?
W: Yes.

(1.)   Is it possible that W responses “Exactly”? What could be another way to say “exactly” in this case.

The company offered me the position because I was the exact person they were looking for.

(2.) Does it mean the same if I replace “the exact person” with “the right person”?

Answer
1.    

(1.)What can be taken in place of “shelters”? “Refuges”? yes but I'd stick to shelters

(2.)What can be taken in place of “teaching”?  “Instruction”? yes but I'd stick to teaching

(1.)In the sentence, should I say, “…it would run off before…”? depending on the meaning you want to give to your sentence you can say that

(2.)In the second sentence, may I say, “It normally takes a while before the drugs start working on patients”? yes

(1.)In the sentence, may I say, “Global warming has affected the word’s climate greatly”? yes

(2.)In the sentence, may I say, “…because of his failure to deal with a series of crises”? yes

(1.)Are both sentences close in meaning? What is the difference? One's criticism doesn't have to be harsh; the sentences are close in meaning though

(2.)Does it mean the same if I replace “disaster” with “catastrophe”? yes

W: Yes.

(1.)    Is it possible that W responses “Exactly”? yes
What could be another way to say “exactly” in this case.  precisely

Well... I wouldn't say "the exact person" I'd say "the person" and yes you can replace that with "the right person for the job" So your sentence should read:
The company offered me... because I was the right person for the job.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker