English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.   
The board decided to call for the president to resign.
The union leader will call for a national strike.

(1.)Does “call for” in each of the sentences mean “ask for/ demand”?

The typhoon yesterday was a disaster. I have never encountered a storm like this before.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “encountered”? “Run into”, “Come across” or “experienced”?

2.   
You are gaining weight. I think you really should cut down on the junk food you eat.

(1.) May I say also, “…should reduce the junk food you eat”?

We have enough savings to get by until you find a new job.

(2.)What can be taken in place of “get by” in the sentence? “Survive” or “live on”?

3.   
I just got by on the exam.

(1.)What is another way to say the sentence? “I barely passed the exam” or “I just passed the exam”?

Sorry! I am late for the party because I got held up at work.

(2.)In the sentence, may I say also, “…because my work delayed me/ held me up”?

4.   
Please wait while I look up your account.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say “look into your account”? What is the difference?

I will look through your report this report and call you back.

(2.) What is the difference if I replace “look through” with “look over” or “check over”?

5.All the terms are clearly set out in the contract.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “set out”?

Can I take up/accept your offer of a ride to the station?

(2.) In what context do you use a sentence like this? Does that imply that somebody offered the speaker a ride earlier?

Answer
1.    

(1.)Does “call for” in each of the sentences mean “ask for/ demand”? yes

(2.) What can be taken in place of “encountered”? “Run into”, “Come across” or “experienced”? In this case "experienced" is the only synonym that I would use.

2.    

(1.) May I say also, “…should reduce the junk food you eat”? I'd say "reduce the amount of junk food you eat"

(2.)What can be taken in place of “get by” in the sentence? “Survive” or “live on”? yes

3.    
I just got by on the exam.

(1.)What is another way to say the sentence? “I barely passed the exam” or “I just passed the exam”? I've never heard "get by" to be used in this context...

(2.)In the sentence, may I say also, “…because my work delayed me/ held me up”? yes but it sounds very impersonal.

4.    

Look up means retrieve the account; look into the account means you already accessed the account and are reading/looking for some details

(2.) What is the difference if I replace “look through” with “look over” or “check over”? no difference

(1.) What can be taken in place of “set out”? outlined

I'm guessing the sentence should read "Can I take you up on your offer to give me a ride to the station?" If so then yes, it implies that someone offered this person a ride to the station earlier.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker