English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.   
Do you manage to work out the problem?

(1.)What can be taken in place of “work out”?  “Solve” or “figure out”?

I am afraid that the bank has turned down our application for a loan.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “turned down”? “Rejected”, “refused” or “declined”?

2.
M :  Where is Jack?

W: He has gone to either Los Angeles or San Jose, but I am not sure where.

(1.)In the conversation, may I leave out “either”?

(2.) What is the difference if I say “He is going to either Los Angeles or San Jose…?”

3. Peter has been working hard to earn an extra day’s vacation.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “Peter has been working hard so that he can earn an extra day’s vacation”?

He has been late practically every day this week.

(2.) May I use the present tense (is late) or past tense (was late) in the sentence? What is the difference?

4.To some extent, companies have experienced hard times recently due to the economic recession.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “to some extent”? “To certain degree”?

An excess intake of salt will cause damage to your health.

(2.)What is another way to say “An excess intake of salt”? “Consuming / eating too much salt”?

5.Drivers should be more careful at night because some dangers may be invisible when lighting is insufficient.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “…when lighting is dim”?

Many climbers got lost on trails in the mountain, and failed to find a way out.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also “in trails in the mountain”?

Answer
1.    
Do you manage to work out the problem?

(1.)What can be taken in place of “work out”?  “Solve” or “figure out”? Either ,but the question should read: "Did you manage..."

(2.) What can be taken in place of “turned down”? “Rejected”, “refused” or “declined”? either

2.
M :  Where is Jack?

(1.)In the conversation, may I leave out “either”? yes

He is going implies a future action; He has gone is something that has happened in the past.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “Peter has been working hard so that he can earn an extra day’s vacation”? yes

(2.) May I use the present tense (is late) or past tense (was late) in the sentence? What is the difference? You can't use the present tense here, but the past tense if OK.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “to some extent”? “To certain degree”? To a certain degree.

(2.)What is another way to say “An excess intake of salt”? “Consuming / eating too much salt”? yes

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “…when lighting is dim”? yes

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also “in trails in the mountain”? no  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker