English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
The street noise is distracting me from working.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “The street noise is distracting my work”?

I asked my former professor for a recommendation letter to apply for a job.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “I asked my former professor for a recommendation letter for my job application.”?

2.

I wanted to go to the party, but he discouraged me.

(1.) Does it mean the same if I say, “…but he encouraged me not to go” or “…but he convinced/ persuaded me not go to”?

China has posed a threat to Taiwan by aiming missiles at the island.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “China’s aiming missiles at Taiwan has posed a threat to the island”?

3
The most recent operation restored his sight.

(1.) What is the difference if I replace “restored” with ‘recovered”?

The city is still recovering from the 2011 earthquake.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “The city is still restoring affected areas from (after) the 2011 earthquake.”?

4.
Our courses help students improve their language skills in every aspect.

(1.) What is another way to say “in every aspect”?

Some demonstrators protested against the meeting between the leaders of China and Taiwan.

(2.) In the sentence, may I leave out “against’ and say “…protested the meeting between Taiwan’s president and his Chinese counterpart.”?

5.
Police use guide dogs to detect illegal substances in suitcases

(1.)What can be taken in place “detect” in each of the sentences? “Discover” or “sniff out”?

Security at the reception will check your identity before you reach your destination.

(2.)In the sentence, may I say “…will check for identification before…”?

Answer
1.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “The street noise is distracting my work”? no, the noise distracts you, not your work.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “I asked my former professor for a recommendation letter for my job application.”? yes, this actually sounds better than the above version

2.

(1.) Does it mean the same if I say, “…but he encouraged me not to go” this sounds odd
or “…but he convinced/ persuaded me not go to”? yes, this is ok

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “China’s aiming missiles at Taiwan has posed a threat to the island”? yes

3

(1.) What is the difference if I replace “restored” with ‘recovered”? restore and recovered are not synonyms. Surgery can't "recover" someone's sight, you can only recover objects that have been lost ... not the case here.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “The city is still restoring affected areas from (after) the 2011 earthquake.”? no, again restore and recover aren't synonyms. You can use rebuild if you must.

4.

(1.) What is another way to say “in every aspect”? nothing that comes to mind

(2.) In the sentence, may I leave out “against’ and say “…protested the meeting between Taiwan’s president and his Chinese counterpart.”? yes

5.

(1.)What can be taken in place “detect” in each of the sentences? “Discover” or “sniff out”? sniff out

(2.)In the sentence, may I say “…will check for identification before…”? yes, it's actually the way I'd word the sentence.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker