English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.My membership is going to expire soon. I’d like to renew it.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say “I’d like to apply for an extension”?

Students in big cities normally have more access to resources than those in remote areas.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “Students in big cities can access more resources than those in remote areas”?

2. Applicants with higher degrees and more experience often have better job prospects than those with lower degrees and less experience.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “better job prospects”?  “Better job opportunities”?

With two staff members on long-term leave, the prospect of taking a vacation is  _____ for me.

(2.) What can be filled in the blank?  “Hopeless”, “impractical” or “bleak”?

3.Most of McDonald’s food contains fatty substances.

(1.) May I replace “fatty” with “fattening”? What is the difference?
Permanent employees are entitled to vacations and benefits.

(2.)  What can be take in place of “are entitled to”? “Have the right to”?

4. Those who commit a crime are entitled to punishment
.
(1.) What can be taken in place of “are entitled to”? “Deserve” or “should receive”?

After hours of suspense, the MRT was back in operation.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “After being suspended for hours”?

5.If you want your mail delivered faster, you can pay an extra fee for prompt delivery, which guarantees its arrival within 24 hours.

(1.)   In the sentence, may I leave out “its”?

The family was seriously injured in the accident.

(2.)    Does it mean the same if I say “The family suffered serious/ major injuries in the the accident”?

Answer

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say “I’d like to apply for an extension”? yes, the first version sounds mor enatural though

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “Students in big cities can access more resources than those in remote areas”? yes but the meaning will change slightly ( there is a difference between having access to more and being able to access more info)

(1.)What can be taken in place of “better job prospects”?  “Better job opportunities”? yes

(2.) What can be filled in the blank?  “Hopeless”, “impractical” or “bleak”? I'd go with "slim"  

(1.) May I replace “fatty” with “fattening”? What is the difference? yes you can ; no difference

(2.)  What can be take in place of “are entitled to”? “Have the right to”? yes

4. Those who commit a crime are entitled to punishment.
.
(1.) What can be taken in place of “are entitled to”? “Deserve” or “should receive”? either

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “After being suspended for hours”? This would actually be the correct way to say what you had in mind above ... Suspense means tension, anticipation, apprehension - it's not properly used in the sentence above.

(1.)   In the sentence, may I leave out “its”? not really

(2.)   Does it mean the same if I say “The family suffered serious/ major injuries in the accident”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker