English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.The patient felt back to normal a few weeks after the surgery.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “felt back to normal”?
His arrogance keeps people away.
(2.) Does it mean the same if I say “His arrogance keeps people at a distance.”?

2. We made a tentative arrangement to meet again next Friday.

(1.) What is the difference if I replace “tentative” with “temporary”?

I just moved here, so I will temporarily stay at my friend’s until I find a place to live.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “…so I will stay at my friend’s for a short time until…”?

3. The stroke left his right side permanently damaged.

(1.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The stroke caused permanent damage to his right side.”?

An employee will become a permanent employee after a three-month probationary period.

(2.  ) In the sentence, may I say also, “…after a three-month training period”?

4. The actress is very successful, but she is highly respected for her modesty.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “modesty”? “Humility”?

Organic food is produced without using fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients.

(2. ) What can be taken in place of “synthetic”? “Artificial”?

5. That soldier was punished for disobeying his superior.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “superior”?

French people are reluctant to speak with foreigners in English because they think they are superior to other races.

(2. ) What can be taken place of “races”? “ethnic groups”?

Answer

(1.) What can be taken in place of “felt back to normal”? nothing I can think of

His arrogance keeps people away.
(2.) Does it mean the same if I say “His arrogance keeps people at a distance.”? I'd stick to "keeps people away"

(1.) What is the difference if I replace “tentative” with “temporary”? none, really

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “…so I will stay at my friend’s for a short time until…”? yes

(1.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The stroke caused permanent damage to his right side.”? yes

(2.  ) In the sentence, may I say also, “…after a three-month training period”? yes you can, but the meaning changes. Training and probationary periods are different things.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “modesty”? “Humility”? yes

(2. ) What can be taken in place of “synthetic”? “Artificial”? yes

(1.) What can be taken in place of “superior”? nothing here, unless you know the rank of his superior, then you can use the rank in the sentence above.

(2. ) What can be taken place of “races”? “ethnic groups”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker